Saturday, January 4, 2014

gifts that rival those of the magi


They packed my eggs for travel (image from Foodie Reflections)

Some joys are sought out, and others come as a surprise. I got three surprise gifts this week.  

As part of my private practice, I got to take a beautiful 65 Km drive out to an unincorporated settlement on the south side of the Shuswap Lake. 

Driving West on the TCH leaving Salmon Arm, I found myself holding my breath. This incredible arial view can only be glimpsed at briefly in your periphery if you are always in the driver's seat.

After speech therapy was done, I got a free tour of the family's chicken coop by the youngest member of the family. The Kindergartner spoke directly to those in her care. "Back up you chickens. I'm shutting the door now. Watch your sweet beaks."
Do you like a distinct flavour to your egg? (image from Earth Haven Farm)

Back inside the house, I got to see the father hand washing each egg with care at the kitchen sink, and laying them out on a dish towel to dry In addition to being paid for my work, I was then gifted with a dozen eggs from this family operation. 

The daughter on the cusp of her teen years shared with me that she sells eggs to her school teacher. 

Her favorite way to cook an egg? She rattled through her options ... and settled on "boiled just enough to have a goopy, runny centre".

And their final gift to me ... a quote posted by their front door.

If we want children to flourish, to become truly empowered, then let us allow them to love the Earth before we ask them to save it. David Sobel

Gifts that rival those of the magi:  a breath-taking vista, fresh eggs, and my new family mission statement

Postscript

In reply to my thank you note the mother wrote back, 
We are very happy to share the eggs with such “egg-thusiasts"!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. It made me want to go make a nice omelet. Are you going to save the eggs or eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. at first I thought the quote by the door said "save the chickens" (vs. save the children). after I got it right... all I can say is "wow" that is a great quote to have by the door....

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Save the chickens". I love it.

    I haven't spent enough time with chickens to feel a particular fondness for their behaviour or looks. The little kindergarten girl who as giving me the tour talked to them in a tone that suggested she was their loving mother. It helped me increase my "save the chickens" attitude.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.