Thursday, July 30, 2020

My Beloved Swiffer -- dead

The motor on my beloved Swiffer stopped – a small battery-operated motor that squirts cleaning fluid ahead of the pad on the Swiffer – now dead.  Miranda took it apart to see what had gone wrong.  “You left vinegar as cleaning fluid in the machine and somehow it has corroded the motor,” she said.  I laughed to myself.  Going to Miranda with a mechanical problem is like getting a quote from my mechanic about what has gone wrong with my car.  I get to learn why my machine is acting up, and how much it will cost to get it fixed.  Thank goodness for a daughter-in-law who brings her engineering theory into the kitchen.

I don’t mind buying another Swiffer.  Such a joy to mop the floor with that tool instead of the old fashioned method:  on my hands and knees as my mother taught me to do.  The only way to get a floor really clean, but I no longer want to get mine that clean.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Getting down on your hands and knees just shows you how much dirt there actually is. Standing up the floors always look cleaner! Ria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things are making my floors cleaner. The first is as you said. I am looking at them from a distance. The other is that the Swiffer has as scented detergent. When Miranda unscrews the lid and I put in my own formula (half water, half vinegar) the children screw up their noses and ask what is that horrible smell. They fear death by the smell of grandmother's cleaning agent.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.