Sunday, July 19, 2020

Journalling

Eagle Vision Cover by Allan Weir. 
... black and red Haida image...

... my 2018 note book ...

For years I have kept copies of letters I write – at first letters to my parents, then to my siblings, the to my children, and now to everyone in my extended family.

What used to take a stamp, or more, depending on how many pages I wrote, now only takes the effort of uploading into a blog.

I call those my memoirs.

Maybe they are journaling as well.

Two autumns ago, when I was in Victoria, I noticed that Rebecca had a small notebook that she took with her to lectures and into which she kept copious notes.

I thought I might try that practise so I purchased an 8-inch by 6-inch red and black book and would take notes as she did.

At the same time, someone told me that there is a new practise while annotating texts, to use certain symbols, so I went out to the web and read how people do that – and I kept notes – my first entry in that small notebook.

... my Table of Contents ...
Added to that, I had started the practise of collecting recipes, pasting them into old day timers – well, really the one I was using, but I could use the January pages for the recipes, since they had been filled up with old notes and were of no use to me anymore. I glued so many recipes into those pages, that I needed a Table of Contents.

I just glued an empty page into one of the front pages as well: #1 Rogers Whole Wheat Bread, #2 Grandma Jarvis’s Lemon Squares, #3 Quick Pizza Crust. You get the idea – just recipes that I might want to go to quickly and have at my finger tips while I travelled and was invited to cook in someone else’s kitchen.

... my 2020 Brownline Daily Planner
I tape an old card ("4 Noble Women" by Lou-Ann Neel) to the front of this book
to differentiate it from older, black covered Daily Planners.
The Table of Contents became so valuable to me, that I began to transfer the idea of making a Table of Contents to other notebooks I was creating.

I am a person who is not gifted with a lot of imagination – at least the kind of imagination that comes with expanding borders.

So it has taken me until this week to figure out that there are many kinds of journaling – and one kind of journaling that I have not recognized is these small notebooks: my day timer and my notebook.

... Saturday and Sunday ...
no notes on these pages ... yet ...
I treasure the random notes therein: a bit of opera, some National Theatre Live, the Indigenous Justice Summit, the characters in the Netflicks Peaky Blinders series, and a lecture by John Borrows on the Anishinabe 7 Grandfather’s Teaching, to name a few in the interest of showing that there is no connection between them, except that it is me taking the notes.

This week is the one where I have come to understand that these small note books are a different kind of journaling: me writing about things that rarely appear in my regular journal.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing "Impact Benefit Agreements" on your table of contents right before "Tristan und Isolde" (something about putting Indigenous Economy and Wagnerian Opera next to each other than is worthy of note... you have a very rich and full life)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Table of Contents myself to see why some things are missing, since you pointed out my life is full of vararies, while I think it is consistent and logical. I discovered I am on page 126 of the journal, but have only added entries to page 56.

    And so, another unfinished task -- that Table of Contents. And more to put in the book.

    Must hurry. Can't keep up. So much in life to do. So little time!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.