Monday, July 20, 2020

Pin Cherries

Photo Credit: Mary Johnson     Pin Cherry Series
...the cherries are so tiny:  3 parts pit: 1 part flesh...
I have been ignoring the pin cherries.

Who would want to look at them when there are four cherry trees on Dan Wood’s property and no one is there to pick them.

A ladder, a few ice cream pails, a little time and one could have all the cherries they could eat.

I know this is true for I try it every time cherry season is here.

Photo Credit: Mary Johnson     Pin Cherry Series
... the cherries are lost amongst the green of the leaves ...

I just carve out 2 days to eat cherries.

Nothing but cherries.

I don’t even think about how full I am getting for while I am cleaning off the pit of one in my mouth there is another in my hand, just waiting to be raise for “just one more cherry” and then I will be finished.

Mary Johnson     Pin Cherry Series
... I bend a branch of the cherries down low to pick ...
Mary asked about the pin cherries. Then she came home with a bucket full of them.

“Why are you picking them? They don’t work with pies.”

“Oh, I am going to make delicious syrup. Some that can be added to drinks. Some that can be drizzled over ice cream.”

Mary stood by the stove for a long time, stirring, and then straining and stirring again to get it to its right consistency. I feel I have told this story before, so on to the next one.

Photo Credit: Mary Johnson     Pin Cherry Series
... we choose a photo bathed in pin cherry leaves ...
Having made pin cherry jelly, Mary started out with a new batch of pin cherries, aiming for delicious syrup again.

Jelly is good, but not for ice cream or fancy drinks. Mary gave me the job of watching the pot boil while she went to play games.

I call it Game Festivus, what they play.

Last night it lasted until 5 am.

I thought they were closing down at 3 am when I woke up to check on how the game was going.

But no, I was assured this morning by someone else that two who shall not be named, stayed up until 5 am. I stirred, I strained, I put more water in the pits and flesh and boiled again.

Finally I had 4 cups of product that had no stones in it. 

Photo Credit: Mary Johnson     Pin Cherry Series
My idea of a successful boil is just to get it in the fridge and let the next person take it to the level of syrup that works for them.

I am so curious that that the middle aged women are out picking pin cherries for syrup, gathering daisy blossoms for bruise medication, collecting mullein leaves for some other kind of boil.

What a great summer.

A big saving on ointments that used to be purchased at the drug store.

I just say, if you produce it, someone will believe in it.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. yes, and making lavender syrup and lavender whipped cream...

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.