Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Inch Worm

Starting on the top of my hand ...
Some songs become dated and aren't sung by successive generations.

I first heard the song Inch Worm when it was sung by Danny Kaye, an actor only the old will even recognize by name anymore.

Still its lovely melody and the fact that it can be sung as a round stay with me and whenever I find an inch worm, I run to find a child on whose hand I can place it.
 .... and going right around

Then I sing the song over and over, hoping that the melody will linger along with the experience.

I have been more successful with the Canadian folk song, "Were you ever in Quebec stowing lumber on a deck ..." than I have been with Inch Worm.

The path of the inchworm across Michael's hand seemed to block out the song I was singing, hoping to imprint on his little grain.

Oh well.

Here are the lyrics for the old timers.

Two and two are four
Four and four are eight
Eight and eight are sixteen
Sixteen and sixteen are thirty-two

Inch worm, inch worm
Measuring the marigolds
You and your arithmetic
You'll probably go far.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.