Saturday, December 31, 2016

My Christmas Day

I went to Agecare Seton about 9 am. I had told Kelvin ahead, that I wanted to hear him read the nativity out of Luke. In fact, on the phone I told him that I wanted to hear him recite it word for word, no help from the Bible, and I would give him a practise run.

I gave him the first words: “and there were in the same country …” and let him go from there. He did a credible job on the telephone that day. Not perfect, but better than most people can do.

I could prompt him.

That is because when I was the Primary chorister, I took some time to teach everyone over the age of 6, that whole passage, so that we could do it from memory in the Sacrament Service. It was unusual and very cute! And that is the how and why the passage is cemented in my own mind.

So on Christmas Day, Kelvin and I went to Sharon’s room.

He opened up the Bible and found Luke. But he started back at the very beginning where the chapter is setting up with “and I write to you, the most excellent Theopholus,” etc.  I will give you the quote:

1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled[a] among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.
Kelvin was way back in time, even before the angel coming to Elizabeth, and Zachariah being struck dumb, etc. I was fascinated, never having been at a church service that started so far back in Luke.  The two women hadn’t even seen each other, nor had one of the children leaped in the womb. We went through all of that -- 25 lovely verses.

 Then we were interrupted by a phone call.

Catherine and Mary's family were inviting us into their present opening via Skype, so the Bible closed down and we went off to do other family directed events.

On reflection I can think it might be the most unusual Xmas day I have ever spent. A blind woman who can barely hear laying on her bed, a man who knows he is dying of cancer sitting in his wheelchair reading, and me.   Kelvin's lovely clear trained, professional voice.  I was fascinated by the text.

And by  the fact that the three of us, all of us, are in the last 1/4 of our lives, if we live to be 100.  We were gathered together to acknowledge our common hope that someday there will be a happening that will bring peace in the world.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. I can remember learning the passage too! :=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hope of peace in our life times is a recurring theme, that at least is brought to the forefront of many of our minds in the Christmas season. For Christmas lights, the Bjorgan's spelled out Peace on their front lawn in cursive. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to my father starting farther back than is typical. Know where to start and end a thought, a reading, a blog comment is a mystery to me too. When other's know just where to start and stop for their audience, I am always astounded.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.