Sunday, February 11, 2018

Bubble Gum Contests

The colour of the wrappers is overwhelming!
Tonight was the first in what might be daily experiments with our Double Bubble Gum. 

Michael, Alice, Betty and I can rip off the plastic wrapper and undo  difficult comics. 

Even the next step of getting it into our mouths can be a problem, especially for Michael whose front two teeth are now loose and unable to chomp down on the pink cubes of gum. 

“What is a wad of gum?”, Michael asked when I was telling him now to smooth the bubble gum out and get it wrapped around his tongue so that he can start to make a bubble. 

Ha ha.

I had forgotten what a talent I have with gum. I can do single bubbles, double bubbles and make my bubbles pop. 

All of that is pretty impressive.

Warming the gum up is more difficult and takes me a bit of time.

I told Michael that I couldn’t perform many more spectacular bubble tricks, my jaw was aching.

“What is a jaw?”

So much to learn!

I told Richard that my Aunt Mary once sent a box of Double Bubble Gum to our house as a gift. We thought she must be rich. Richard shook his head, not being able to grasp how people could have so little money that having bubble gum was an unheard of luxury.

Richard made a rule before we were allowed to open the gum. No stretching of the gum, out and in, folding, double folding, putting it back in our mouths, pulling it out again. That was forbidden.

So hard to remember that.

As well, no gum was to be touched by our hands, which is very difficult in the early stages of practise. Sometimes we have to get that gum flattened out and then inspect it before trying to blow it into bubbles.

Well, I was surprised myself, how, after a few warm-ups, I could bring back a high level of skill.

Michael and Alice were interested when I showed them that the bigger the bubble, the more likely it is to pop and splat against my face and be glued there until I could wipe the wad across my cheek, picking up most of the gum.

So little time.

So much to learn.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.