Tuesday, February 6, 2018

More Scarves

Shopping starts with a list of items that need to be purchased. I develop the list over a number of days. At least that is how my shopping begins. As well, it is late January and I know that most stores have a few isles of winter clearance items with final-sale tickets.

To look outside, I am well aware that winter is still here, and I know that it will still be here during April and maybe into May. But the goods that are sold for winter are gone, mostly. I wondered if any of the scarves that I wanted to buy in Montreal at Catherine’s Provigo (a rebrand of Loblaws Stores in Quebec) would be featured at my local Superstore, and now on the clearance rack.

I was right to check the store out. I found some that I had longed for in Montreal and even some more scarves that were new to me: one is extra-long and has pointed ends which are mirror images of one another and is 3 yards long; a second scarf is a black and white check with lovely braided fringe at the bottom; as well, I fell in love with the Scottish green plaid that was in another isle.

The trip to the store was early on Monday morning. The shoppers were few and those who were in the store were hurrying through the vegetable sections, or lazily looking at fruit, smelling the pineapples, turning the berries over to check for mould on the bottom of the trays.

I, on the other hand, was pulling out scarves, exulting when I found a scarf at 70% off of its original price, touching each scarf and then its clearance tag. I could see that everyone of the scarves I touched was going in my cart – but what was I to do? They were all beautiful. Now they are sitting on one of the stools at my counter. I am wearing them one by one, some out to markets, to my doctor’s appointments, to church, to visit Zoe. If I have done wrong by buying so many (13), I am going to pay for it by getting them on my back during every waking moment.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.