Friday, February 23, 2018

Drawing Out Law - a Review

I have been trying to do for myself what I want my church to do for its leaders: “… teach the leaders (and me) to respect Indigenous spirituality in its own right” (Call to Action #60).

Well, that is the shortened version of the call. I will type in the longer version of the call at some other point.

 All of this is just to say that in order to continue my own education, I went to the public library and borrowed books on indigeneity, so that I could have some reading material.

 Last night, I finished John Borrows’ book called Drawing Out Law: A Spirit’s Guide.

 The book made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me feel like giving up, it made me feel like continuing on, it made me heartsick, it made me hopeful. The book is divided into four parts, each of which holds some chapters (scrolls). A line drawling accompanies each scroll and the drawing look like a petroglyph. After a few chapters I took out a piece of paper and began to copy the figures, making my own petroglyphs about what I had read. I was surprised that I needed to do this. I think taking the pen in hand was all to figure out what his pictograph was saying. Annoying, really that Borrows doesn’t give me the answer in words. I know, part of his pedagogy, but still I am a receiver of knowledge, not someone who likes to create it. Oh yes, I have forgotten the best part of the book. On reading the first paragraph of the preface, Borrows suggests that the reader skip the preface and go right into the book. That made me laugh for I am a big reader of prefaces. I took him at his word and for the first time ever went directly to the book. Now as I am writing this wholly unworthy review, I remember that I missed the preface and must now go back and see if it was worth missing. An added hope for all is that at some moment you may go to church and meet John Borrows sitting on the same pew as you.

And now I wish I had purchased the book instead of just borrowing it from the library.

I am feeling the same way about the new book of his that I have started:  Freedom and Indigenous Constitutionalism.  

Review to come later.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. It wasn't until I wrote the name of Professor Burrow's book down on my "To Read List" that I put it together - you were doing the practice of drawing out law. Very cool indeed. Now I want to put Drawing Out Law ahead of other books on my Sunday School readings list. So glad I read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering what is taking you back to all of these old posts. Yes, Drawing Out Line works in that way. Making me want to take a pen and draw some lines to see if I can capture what I am feeling, though it is not easy to blog such a thing. Words are easier. On reading? I have been feeling that I haven't been doing much reading. But the real fact is that I am reading for a Law 343, and probably doing all of the readings, while Rebecca tells the women only to do a sampling of the pages she gives them. She probably knows how busy their lives are. But I don't have any responsibilities to keep little ones alive and so I have time to read it all. And I do. Why not? Reading. Such a delicious pleasure.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.