Monday, February 26, 2018

La Boheme - a lovely Saturday morning

To begin with, yesterday Richard said over and over and over how grateful he is for the health care system.  Michael got a scratch on his cornea that needed attention over at the Children's Hospital.  With no thought of cost, Miranda bundled him up and took him on a short 10 minutes ride to get there.  Richard was home with the girls blessing the taxing system, the roads, the health care that is so close to us.  Nobody sent up more prayers of gratitude than he did yesterday.

(Credit: Marty Sohl / Ken Howard / Met Opera)

I am doing the same thing when I attend social events that have to do with HD Live.

The latest one was La Boheme.

Not being able to find anyone to go with me I went on the LRT and had a seat alone.

That was good for no one was beside me to measure the tears of gratitude that rolled down my cheeks and onto my neck during all four acts of the show.

The singing was everything a person could ever imagine.  That added bonus of taking us back stage during the intermissions was so curious.  This time we got to hear small interviews with the stills.  They are people who have no singing parts in the opera.  There was a painter, a waiter and a courtesan who just held the arm of one of the singers.  The painter was chosen by Zefferrelli himself.  The waiter did a humorous pratfall during one of the sections.  The woman was beautiful as she should have been.  One of the stills was asked if he had ever been a dead person on stage.  Yes, and he had also been "the nose" in one of the productions.

Look to the OperaWire for more on this production.

In the interviews, Kelli O'Hara kept asking the conductor and the performers, what is your favourite Puccini opera.  They couldn't really answer, but I can.  I love La Boheme.  Maybe it is not as sophisticated as some of the other operas.  And having just seen Tocsca there are incredible arias there.  Still, I am stay with Saturday's opera.

3 comments:

  1. particularly since i am afraid i might have had a ticket, but got caught up in the crises of the week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life is so busy, I am wondering if you even got to the Anime film with Duncan. You are leading a double life, Rebecca, but neither of the lives are secret. I can't even keep up to the reading that you post. Well, yes I keep up to the reading, but I don't take notes as I would like to.

    So here it is: Romeo and Juliet from the Canadian Series on Saturday. The Flames of Paris -- ballet on Sunday which will be astonishing. The new ballet is so wonderful, even I (who does not like ballet) likes it. Julius Ceasar is the 22nd and Cosi Fan Tutte on the 31st. But I doubt that you will even have time to put these into your calendar, let alone go to them.

    That is the way life should be lived! Having a triple life, which you can't manage to do, but can only calendar.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.