Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Lady of the Camellias - at a local theatre

The woman who sat behind me in the ballet today kept taking the words out of my mouth: wow.

I don’t know how many times she said it, but I agreed each time. I think it was more of a gasp than a wow.

Just that first view of 6 balconies taken from the top of the Bolshoi’s home in Moscow was breathtaking.

Katya Novikova kept the interviews going during both intermissions.

Svetlana Zakharova
Edvin Revazov
So sweet.

We heard about the exquisite costuming.

We had a chance to listen to people who had worked with the choreographer, John Neumeier.

The joy of having the pianist right on stage and doing such wonderful Chopin was a thrilled.

And then the painist moved to the pit, or perhaps it was someone else there, but the piano alone and then in concert with the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra was just overpowering.

And this was the first time I have seen modern ballet, since this ballet was only conceived in the early 1970’s. Even watching the prĂ©cis of what was happening in each act, and seeing it come in six different languages was a thrill. I was overwhelmed. Richard had offered to send Michael along with me today. I should have taken him up on the deal. Knowing it was 3 hours of ballet and then an hour on the LRT both ways, I thought he might not make it through. On the other hand, what else is a person to do with their Sunday. Next time, perhaps a little boy will come along with me. Complete with enough treats to last for the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.