Saturday, February 10, 2018

Splendor – with Michael

I played Splendor with Michael tonight.

The game started out with Betty and Alice playing along as well, but the practicality of that soon broke down.

Betty was put at the other end of the table with the Nobles whom we didn’t need to have come and visit us.

Those nobles were shuffled interminably by her and they hit the floor many times. Still she thought she was playing Spendor.

And Alice only last a couple of rounds. Soon the cards were gummy from Double Bubble Gum goop on her hands so while Richard washed her hands,  I cleaned the stickiness off of the cards. And then Alice wanted to get out of there and go drive the cat crazy which she is not allowed to do as well.

That left Michael and me fighting to get the first 15 points in the game. When Michael’s dad came by and said when the game ended, Michael would be going to bed, that is when Michael’s game strategy ended. He no longer wanted to get his 15 points. Now the aim of the game was to get as few points as possible, to put off what was the inevitable – hitting the bed at some point.

I had to double my own game plan. Usually I hold back, letting the younger players win. Now I had to put on some speed so that the game would end before midnight. I was one point away from winning when Michael finally reached for a card that would give him the point advantage. I called him on his subterfuge and told him that next game – I am out there to win!

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.