Thursday, September 12, 2019

A Slight Disappointment

I thought I could say it was a slight disappointment, but when I found I got to the wrong theatre, but at the right time, I knew all of that preplanning, all of the online interviews I watched getting myself reading to see National Theatre’s offering of Fleabag just went out the window. And I had a little trouble choking down the disappointment.

All the ticket seller could do was give me three plexiglass 8 ½ x 11 sheets into which he had put a small summary of the shows I could see at that theatre. Sucking up my disappointment, I saw I could choose between Hustler and Road to the Lemon Grove .

I have listened to the CBC interview one of the actors in Hustler this morning. As well a few weeks ago I watched a 2 minute video about Road tom the Lemon Grove. I felt as though I had a heads or tails choice to make.

A deceased Sicilian father, has
one last outrageous mission
in store for his son - spread his ashes
in the lemon groves of Sicily,
reunite two feuding families,
discovering the heart and soul of who he really is
While Rebecca is going to tell about Fleabag when she gets home, I have to say that Road to the Lemon Grove is a cross between a spaghetti-western, a few university linguistics lectures, and a documentary with fabulous picture of Sicily.

Subtitles were occasionally added but I didn’t think there were enough of them, or perhaps having a lot of dialogue and then a subtitle that just says “no” was enough.

There were only 5 of us in the theatre and the couple to the extreme right of me talked all of the way through the movie. 

The second couple tried to shush them a number of times but it didn't work.

My guess is that the couple who were talking were enjoying the gorgeous shots of Sicily and explaining to each other how much fun it had been on their own trip there.

The other couple directly in front of me stayed until all of the credits had rolled by. Not everyone says that long. The last line in the credits said “No donkeys were hurt in the filming of this movie”. At least that made me laugh.

And now I am going out to figure out where and when The Lehman Trilogy is playing on Saturday so that I don’t miss that second offering from The Nation Theatre.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.