Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Church Ideas

On the way home from church and in the car, Greg was funny. The speaker was Jim Taylor. His career was in banking. He was setting up a story, saying that he was attending meetings where everything should have been done 10 minutes ago. Then he did an aside. He said no, everything didn't have to be done 10 minutes ago. The people he was working with just ran on that theory that inflated their own self-importance with this rule.

Greg though that Jim Taylor had hit it on the nail, especially with all of the business pressure that he often felt in government. Greg said that was in that category as well. I wouldn't have put lingered on that idea but I can see how people who work in high pressure business and government jobs might say that was food for though.

I thought what was the most interesting part of the meeting was the way the talk had been set up, talking about the importance of general health and mentioning how advertising is not trying to sell good health, but is trying to make money from certain products. Taylor’s examples from his life were interesting and he ended with the health rules that Daniel and his four friends of Biblical fame carried out.

Important Event Coming Up
Oct 11 6 pm CWSC
...  party to Celebrate 40 years of being a stake ...
And then Jim Taylor read a letter which was to explain new information about how the Word of Wisdom should be lived: no vaping, no e-cigarettes, no tobacco-based products, and no green tea.

On the way home I couldn’t get anyone in the car to explain to me what vaping was, so I had to go to the internet to learn more about that.

I wondered about the tobacco-based products, since the only one that came to my mind was Coffee Crisp Chocolate bars and I thought maybe the sugar in that was worse than the coffee flavour.

Then I remembered they might be talking about the high end coffee drinks and not referring to a chocolate bar.

Of course green tea is a hard substance to eliminate if I think about China and its prevalence there.

Not being a tea drinker (even when I am in China) I just let all of that go though my mind but I can’t help but be curious about clarifying information about products I don’t know much about.

I take my service prrogramme from the Sunday Meeting home.   I have idly doodled on it during the meeting, trying to cement spellings of people’s names, making a to-do-list for travelling, making a note about the speaker’s words, highlighting important church events coming up in my personal calendar, drawing a picture of the bare back of the woman in front of me, her bra criss-crossing her skin as an accessory.

I seem to want to capture the full church experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.