Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Herbal Remedies

Rebecca was in the Nicoloa Valley with Elders, talking about water projects.

That is the reason she could come up here to Secwepmachine where she is spending a few days working on validation projects for the Indigenous Law Research Unit (ILRU).

... a remedy for arthritis ...
This is her top choice for ways to spend her Sabbatical Days. 

When she talks about the days, I can see her counting them down, looking at the days, even the hours, carefully calculated because of how precious they are to her.

The appointments she had for yesterday didn’t work out, but in that failure she ran into other groups of people who opened their arms to her and had her join with them.

And that is how I got this gift of Indigenous medicine: castor wax with devil’s club, lavender, and lemongrass.

I have a new philosophy with gifts. No more saving them for tomorrow. Just open them up and get using them. No one will enjoy putting this on more than I, as evidenced that the morning hasn’t passed and I have put it on twice.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Use it now, not later. How does it smell? I bet the lavender and lemon is beautiful. What does devil's club essential oil smell like? Now I need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca and I both have our own containers of the Indigenous Arthritic medicine. I use mine on my hands, but have been known to use it anywhere, in a pinch. It is probably on the medicinal side of how it smells. One might be kicked out of a fragrance-free facility for using it. Still we rub it into our hands as though it will cure arthritis.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.