Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Moiya’s Garden

... a close up of beans hanging from the vine ...
Moiya has an abundance of produce in her garden.

I went to pick some of it last night.

Oh, not the beans up high though there was a ladder enticing me to try to get the very last bean.

But when a person is not that stable on land, it is not a good idea to climb a ladder, so I left those beans for someone who will come after me.

Dave has the tepee of sticks that the beans crawl up at least 7 feet high.

... Dave has 3 beanstalks this tall ...

I picked from each one.
And on another stick a vine winds up the stick and then crosses over and winds among that branches of a nearby apple tree, making a lovely architectural feature in their yard as well.

I could hear myself whispering fee, fi, foe fum as I picked the beans for the height of the vines would surely remind a person of the Jack and the Beanstalk folk tale.

I shared half my bucket of produce with Wyona.

... sage browned butter ...
Then at home I snapped the beans, steamed them and then covered them with sage brown butter, a small condiment left to me by Ria when she visited in the summer.

“How long do you keep something like that before you think is is past it `best before’ date,” Rebecca asked me.

A lot longer than this I said, smothering my beans in sweet, smooth browned sage butter.

Thank you for all of the work of the Little Red Hen, Moiya.

I feel a bit bad swooping in and taking the fruit of your labour.

But I would feel a lot worse to let those beans just dry up on the vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.