Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tree Planter is Flood Dodging

Connor just came in the door.
 ... my worldly belongings in 3 plastic bags ...

His tree planting camp was flooded out at Bragg Creek.

He can hardly wait to get on the internet to see if there are pictures there of the water flowing through the streams.

... first wet layer off ... one more layer to go
... as well, looking for dry clothes ...
He wants to compare and see if it looks as bad on TV as he knows it really is.

The first truck left for work and at kilometer six they radioed back, “We aren’t going any further.”

As well, their camp is flooded out.

...  holes in sleeves of second layer ...
Everything that was to be dry in the big tent was wet.

Connor had pitched on a high ground (and then he points his finger to his head to show he was using his brains).

The others had tents that are now floating in water.

... now to get a shower and a load of clothes washed and dried ...
He is home to wash his clothes and take a shower which he hasn’t done for a while.

I offered to let him use my car to do some work at the university but he says he has been walking 30 kilometers a day and a trip over there isn’t much for him.

He made me laugh.

the tree planters uniform... wet legs and holey socks ...
He has on his heavy cleats.

The rest of him is dripping and his bags are soaked.

He proudly picked up one black garbage back up and said, “These are my dry clothes.”

The bag started dripping. He said, “Oh no!”

... going to check out next year's courses now ...
He let me take some pictures.

I was interested in the holes in his knees.

He said yes, the stinging nettle gets in those holes.

I went crazy with my camera and he obliged.

... thankfully I got a ride to town with my buddy ...
Look at my arms. This is the hand I use to put the trees in the ground.

And this is my shovel hand. Look at the callouses.

Yup.

... this arm puts the trees in the ground ...
I am pretty marked up.

At 4 pm today he will get an email telling him if they are working tomorrow.

The forecast is pretty much rain all day – 100 cm I think.

 ... knuckles bruised and callouses from the shovel on this hand ...
My prediction?

He will be here another day.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. June 21st, 2013

    Connor is driving to the Petro Canada Station on the Trans-Canada. Then he will be helicoptered out to a new base camp. If that works out, the crew will be be flown to a new planting area from there. He says planting is hard work, but there is nothing wrong with a job that helicopters you all around Kananaskis country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful pictures of the ragbag Connor. No rest for the tree planter. Just enough time to sit in the bathtub to get ready for his helicopter ride.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.