Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Uumati's Village


The invitation to Uumati's Recital and Party
Umati’s End of the Year Party was held at Rebecca’s house, family and friends joining together for a meal after her dance recital on Saturday.

The party was held at Rebecca’s house but as you know, Rebecca is in Iqaluit.

Guests arrived, Salish and Iqaluit.

I went to greet them at the door, group after group, grandmothers, aunts, uncles, friends, the dance teacher – I didn’t count, but maybe 30 people.

“Hello, I don’t know you. I am Rebecca’s mother.”

“Who is Rebecca?”

I changed my greeting. That was easier than explaining who Rebecca is.

The few people who did know her looked at me and said with surprise, “You look just like Rebecca.” Yes. I am a model twenty-five years older than she.

Duncan went downstairs and put on a movie, hoping that someone would be interested in watching with him.

... this woman's treasure -- a beluga tooth. .. and elk button to the left ....
The stereo system has plenty of power. “Let’s shut the door to that room,” someone said who heard the decibles go up.

“Yes, it is a soundproof door.”

“A soundproof room? The people who live here must be very rich.”

That made me laugh. I would call them half-rich, because when I shut the door, only half of the sound was muffled.

Umati’s Aunt Stephanie Papik was there and wearing about the most beautiful belt.

... detail from wedding cape pocket ...
I finally asked if I could take a picture of it.

She told me that she has two other belts like this and will be exhibiting them in an art show in the fall.

The belt was hipster, made of fluted leather with two pockets, one the side and one at the back. A decorative chain on the belt is the place where you can hang your treasures. For her, a beluga whale tooth and a button made from an elk antler.

... the notebook pocket ...
She showed me how the outer covering of the antler had been rubbed off.

The nice thing about having two pockets is that you can carry anything a woman might need during the day in one of them. She pulled out a jack knife, something I have but don’t carry all of the time.

... a crotchet hook in the back pocket ...
And she pulled out a wooden crotchet hook. “I used this to mend a sock for my friend last week.”

The back pocket is made from the skin of her wedding cape. “Recycle, that is the motto,” she said.

At most parties I talk about the food which was fantastic.

 But I feel the belt certainly deserves honorable mention at this party. This is only the second time I have tasted smoked salmon, the first time being last week at Congress. I have to get out to Victoria more often.
Chocolate dipped strawberries graced the table, I added wasabi and pickled ginger to the vegetarian sushi I ate and Grandfather Terry stood at the grill the whole evening providing hot meat.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.