Friday, March 11, 2016

Before the "Taming of the Shrew"

Add caption
If Rebecca is going to The Taming of the Shrew tomorrow with her men, she will be busy looking at the internet, trying to find 10 famous quotes from the play.

As well there will be plot summaries posted on her living room door.

I go about my preparation in a different way.

Taming of the Shrew
Act III, Scene ii.
Illustration by Francis Wheatley, 1793.
Public domain.
I go out to read the reviews, this time two of them in the Globe and Mail, since this production was done at Stratford this year.  If that is your way to prepare for the play, then see either J. Kelly Nestruck's Globe and Mail review or Kate Taylor's review in the Globe and Mail on March 11th, 2016.

I looked for some of the famous quotes as well.  This one is easy to remember -- at least the general shape of it.

“You lie, in faith; for you are call'd plain Kate,
And bonny Kate and sometimes Kate the curst;
But Kate, the prettiest Kate in Christendom
Kate of Kate Hall, my super-dainty Kate,
For dainties are all Kates, and therefore, Kate,
Take this of me, Kate of my consolation;
Hearing thy mildness praised in every town,
Thy virtues spoke of, and thy beauty sounded,
Yet not so deeply as to thee belongs,
Myself am moved to woo thee for my wife.”

Looking foward to see how Stratford takes this play on.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.