Monday, March 23, 2020

Another New Opera to Me

Photo Credit: Met Website
Dimitri Hvorostovsky and Renee Flemming
To my fellow opera lovers:

I missed seeing the Met’s production of Eugene Onegin back in 2007.

I couldn’t have been more happy to see it tonight.

I am a couple of hours ahead of Rebecca seeing it in Victoria. She texted me to see if I were watching.  I had already finished my viewing, having started it early. I like seeing these productions, and knowing my friends and family are watching.

Physical distancing is not social distancing in these cases.

I must have identified with the heroine in this movie, for I had a pen and pencil in my hand for most of the show.

Photo Credit: Met Website
Final Act of Eugene Onegan
Last night I went out to the internet, found a youtube of Renee Flemming giving a master class to a music student and I watched all of it.

I don’t know how I was thinking that would prepare me to watch the opera.

Maybe it did, for I was cognizant of the breathing technique that she was demonstrating in the class with a music student.  And that had some carry over to the film for me.

What I really liked about the opera was the Russian feel about it: the costuming for one thing, and another – the staging.  And I think it captured class.  In the first act, when I heard one of the women say "Heaven sends us habit in place of happiness", I knew there was a trope that was going to occur more than once in the show.

The feel of the grand space, and the lack of materiality was impressive.

Another great opera night.

I think my favourite quote, translated of course, was Titania saying, “We cannot bring back the past.”

Profound ... and surrounded by Tchaikovsky's music.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. it was beautiful. and the parts were 'meaty'... a real thinking-person's opera. i loved how it let each character really grapple with regret and desire. and the lighting and staging were wonderful (and simple). i felt so drenched in the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for saying you feel drenched in music. I feel the same way. I have never done so much consistent opera. Every night and I am going to keep it up again this week. When the Met did the whole Ring Cycle, I went to every show -- even the one that was five hours long. That experience was only being semi-drenched in music. When I go to the website and click on the play now button, I feel as though I am saying a grand hello to the person at the box office and then the music starts.

    I will acknowledge that some people are working 24/7 right now for me, while I sit at home transported every night.

    This filming was done in 2007. It is easy to see how the Met has ramped up opera to be a more sumptuous viewing experience. I think this is in part due to filming techniques, because there was plenty of costuming there. As well, the opera has singers who are such great actors now.

    Well, I am going to read up on the Tristan and Isolde story before my viewing begins. When I saw the production we will be seeing tonight, I remember having a lot of questions since the old story now has a new background -- that more modern military setting. Clashes where I view the past and the present are important sites of learning for me. See you at the virtual opera.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.