Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #27 On Raising Children - Doral

What I learned from Doral is how to blog.

Then years ago, I was an avid chatter – emails and texts going out to my children at lightening speeds.

Doral said that if would be easier for him to come to a blog and read, than to take care of the random messages to his personal or his work email.

And he said he would set a blog up for me.

Well, not for me, really. He said it was for the family – the extended family – his aunts and uncles, his siblings, even he thought the nephews and nieces (as Caulder calls them, niblings) might join in.

.. .a break from driving, stopping for a minute in Revelstoke ...
The blog was set up and then not much happened.

I asked Doral when he would be posting lots up there and he said, “Hey it is not my blog. It belongs to everyone.”

And that is how Doral taught me to blog: just get out there and blog.

I took his advice.  I tried to make it my blog, hoping that others would make it theirs as well. And now … ten years later ... a long blog, at least in blogging years.

Oh yes, I might have shadowed Doral for a while on his gaming blog to see how he did it. I think he taught me to be a consistent poster, as well and to reply to people when they made comments.

Thank you, Doral.

I learned it all from you.

Arta


4 comments:

  1. all hail Doral for making Arta's blogging possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another all hail for Doral. Anita and he had planned a four day holiday in Calgary this week-end. They have called the trip off in favour of social distancing. Thank you Doral and Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned from Doral how many great new board games there are to be bought and played with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I learned from Doral that there is another way to play games than the way I do, which is get out the cards or games and then coerce children to come and play.

    Last summer Doral would just sit at a table with a game and wait for people to pass by and ask, "Can I play?" I think I like his way better than mine.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.