Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Dear Fellow Travellors

Dear fellow travellers,

... water colour by Wyona Bates ...
My mind has wandered away from my task at hand, the task of postponing or cancelling travel.

Instead it's meandering though memories of travel. Memories of the places I have visited in my 53 years on this amazing planet.

I decide to write down the locations. I begin.

- Grande Prairie, Alberta
- Annis Bay, British Columbia

But by the time I write the second one down, I am already editing. Do I list them chronologically or order them by how deeply I feel rooted in that location?

Perhaps I will list them categorically, by how I got there. I have travelled to places by foot, ferry fishing boat, bicycle, moped, motorbike, plane, gondola, train, car, kayak, canoe, but not yet by cruise ship. I return to the list and add more places.

- Belgium
- England
- China
- Catalunya
- Venice

I see there are decisions to make
around whether this list will be
at the level of continent, country,
region or city. Do I list in geopolitical boundaries or length of time I was there?

- Kansas City
- Barnwell, Alberta
- Regina, Saskatchewan
- Urban, Illinois
- Montreal, Quebec
- St Albert, Alberta
- New Market, Ontario

I think of loved ones in quarantine and the limits they are accepting to keep others healthy.

- Salmon Arm, BC
- Calgary, AB
- Callelia, Spain
- Gainesville, FL
- New York City
- Italy

And I stop. I take some deep breaths. I recommit to trusting we can do this as a community. I can stay home. I can wait to travel until it is safe to do so for me and for others.

I got this.
We got this.

Your travel-loving friend,

Bonnie W Johnson

11 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of many of the same places. And then all of the little places around those same places. For example, Grande Prairie brings to mind Dawson Creek, Fox Creek, High Level, even Fahler. So much beauty in the places I have seen. I don't mind staying right here for a while. I was born here. I raised my children here. I hope to live many more years here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still thinking about how to get out to the lake sooner than later without putting other people at risk. I love our phone chats. I always laugh so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put in a long day at the office, head down, trying to get ready to work from home asap. I will miss the comraderie of colleagues, but I won't miss the increased anxiety of wondering whether I am remembering to use all safety measures that are not yet habitual. I will try to call you on my lunch tomorrow, Mary. You have an infectious laugh, and that is something I don't mind catching.

      Delete
  3. i have been having the same questions (running off to the lake!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The question of when to go to the lake is a continuous one ... at least on my mind. Once I get there, does that mean another 2 weeks of physical distancing? Sometimes I fear I won't be able to get there all summer. I am just going to put that idea way to the back of my mind thinking there will be a chance to see the land and enjoy the waters of the Shuswap, and the coziness of Shady Beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine you not here this summer. I too put that way out of my mind.

      Delete
  5. On my last provisions drop to Lot 3, I discovered the snow had melted enough to turn the road into deep mud. I was grateful the CPR had been by to do some ploughing and adding of rock piles to potholes allow me to there and back by car. I will have to bring my galoshes if I want to make it to Sandy Beach in the next little while. I'd love to go walk in the mud with all of you, 6 feet apart that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a good pair of rubber boots. I don't like to get them dirty as they have a beautiful west coast Indigenous design on them.

    My boots are not made for walking, and that's just what they'll do. They just be admired and that's enough for you. Hope I got the prosody right.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.