Friday, March 27, 2020

Practising New Words

Photo Credit: Met Website
Three Nornes weaving the rope of destiny

Catherine called tonight to ask which opera I am going to see this evening.

When I tried to tell her, I found out that  I can spell Götterdämmerung , but on the phone I couldn't say the word out loud.

A lot of stumbling from me.

I could hear Eric in the background coaching me, but I still couldn't get it right.

When I was through with the phone call, I practised some of the other words I wasn't going to be able to say outloud as well, hoping that I could at least identify them when I heard them in the opera.

-my hasty notes drawn up in preparation to watch the opera-
-in the end, these notes keep the plot going for me -

a genealogy of the new characters I was going to meet in
Land of Gibichunga
Now I have finished watching another modern day technical miracle, at least as far as the cinema is concerned.

I am sure Rebecca is still going to be entranced by Robert LePage's direction.  And that Moiya will have loved the music.  That Bonnie will have tried to stay awake for some of it.  And that Catherine and Eric will not find the energy to turn it on.  So many of us with different lives doing our best.

Thanks to the Met for another evening of good entertainment.

I couldn't help but think of the importance of contracts, again, Rebecca.  Even blood contracts.

Or maybe especially blood contracts.

I am looking forward to tomorrow night -- the last of an intense week of Wagner operas!  For a while I thought they might do me in.  But no!  I am going to have watched The Ring Cycle, as I did last night, right to the immolation of Valhalla.

Goodbye to the Gods!

Hello to more opera.
Arta

6 comments:

  1. i fell behind last night, and couldn't start Gotterdammerung at midnight (after an evening of boardgames with my men). I decided to bite the bullet and subscribe to the MetOnDemand, and now, the pressure is off. I am going to commit myself to enjoying at a slightly slower speed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have watched the first part with the norns and the weaving. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As in life where I have aids-for-daily living ( a 2 wheeled walker, a 4 wheeled walker, crutches, an aid to put socks on), so in opera I have aids-for-daily watching, specifically notes from the internet or the metopera.org website, so I can figure out what is happening in the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are the evenings with your board game companions going? Anyone ever want to play NO THANKS. Do they just stay with Lords of Waterdeep?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get sooo whipped at these games -- always coming in last. If I can play bridge, why can't I beat my grandchildren at Splendor.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.