Thursday, March 12, 2020

T’l’oqwxwat or Avatar Grove

From website:
https://www.ancientforestalliance.org/learn-more/directions-to-avatar-grove/
I wondered if I got out of control with my description of Avatar Grove with one of my favourite 80 memories of a lifetime.

And then Bonnie, David and Joacquim asked how to get there, one even asking how soon they could leave.

Here is more data for them and others on Avatar Grove.   You will be especially pleased with the map that tells you how to get there from Prince Rupert, B.C. (Yes, it is on Victoria Island).

To be short: Avatar Grove” is a popular nickname for the Pacheedaht name of “T’l’oqwxwat” and is in the unceded territory of the Pacheedaht First Nation.

Five minutes or less on this site will be well worth your time.  The text is short.  But the pictures are long, wide and tall --  well worth lingering on -- thus five minutes of your time will wet your appetite as to whether this is a space on the earth you would like to see.

Glen said he would send me to articles to read about this area.  I will remind him again that  I would like to read them.  And even pass them on.  As well, I typed in "how to pronounce indigenous word T’l’oqwxwat”" and up came an interesting article which I can't get a URL for, because it is part of a larger work.  I did not find out how to pronounce the word.

And of course, I tried to pronounce the word anyway.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. I hope everyone knows that you have to have a vehicle that can go on roads that are not up to usually specifications. I think everyone in the parking lot either had a truck or a van, and sometimes we could hear the van bottoming out. That last bit of the trip is more like going on logging roads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the children's book called, "Taking a Bath with the Dog: And Other Things that Make Me Happy" by Scott Menchin? Spoiler alert. One of the adults the little girl interviews, as she seeks to figure out what will make her happy, made me think of Uncle Glen. Trees make one of the adults happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie and I were talking last night about trees making us happy and about wanting to go up to Avatar Grove again. We decided we need to have Glen along to tell us about the trees that make him happy. He is an essential part of the trip.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.