Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Moiya's Cedar Chest

... 40 years old and still unquilted ...
From Moiya Wood 

This vintage quilt has been in my cedar chest ever since I got “my very own” cedar chest.

I think mom and dad got that, probably for themselves but that was the time when Dad went out and bought new bikes for Richard and Glen, my two younger brothers. My parents didn’t get a two wheeler for me. I never ever even had a tricycle.

I got a cedar chest.

Of course I would ride my friend's tricycles and bikes.

My mom and dad could probably see that I was pretty disappointed with no bike.

A Modern Homemaker
Rebecca Johnson's version of canning
... layer veggies in a canning jar and then eat ...
So, my belief is that they told me the cedar chest at the end of their bed was for me. They had purchased it around the same time I think. Mom kept things of hers in that cedar chest.

Of course, I would rather have had a bike.

At that time of my life I was pretty darn agile and athletic.

I remember Dad having everyone who came to our house have them stop to see how well Moiya could do.

This is a true fact … I could have continued twirling that hula hoop for the entire day without dropping it.

I could also twirl a baton and throw it high into the air while spinning around before catching it.

I would practice doing those activities for hours on end.

I didn’t know what in the world I would ever use a cedar chest for. My mom explained how I could keep treasured things in that chest. They would be preserved there for me. In other words, she said, “The moths wouldn’t get into that chest”.

Moiya's cedar chest

She had me smell the CEDAR. It did smell good! Mom said it was my “Hope Chest”.

That is one of the conversations where I understood that I was to save things for my marriage. 

I kept my huck-weaved pillow and my first sewing project made in High School Fabrics and Dress class in that “Cedar Chest”.

I sewed an apron with my monogram “MP” stitched into the hot pad that was snapped onto the waistband). That apron rests on my shelf by the kitchen now.

Then, as a young adult, when all my other friends were getting married and I was not … I came to resent that cedar chest.

I had lots of friends – girl friends. I was a bridesmaid probably more times than anyone else in this world has ever been.

In fact, the guests at all of those weddings would come through the line shaking my hand with big smiles on their faces and say, “Always a bridesmaid – never a bride”.

I still have that Cedar Chest.

It is in my bedroom, the same place where my mom and dad kept it in their bedroom. This star quilt in this post, is one of the things still in that Cedar Chest. I just don’t know where it came from.

Was is from a grandmother, a great-grandmother, or from my mother?

I guess I’ll never know.

Moiya


5 comments:

  1. I love this post. I liked reading the evolution of your feelings towards it. I would like to have seen you do the hoopla hoop. Um so glad I got to see that swimming video of you when you were a teen taken by the Reed family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moiya, you have a beautiful way with words. Thank you for writing this and sharing it with us. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got that right Mary Johnson! And I love you too, Moiya! Did Wyona sew that quilt top from fabric she got in Malaysia? I remember seeing that fabric in your Cedar Chest. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I asked Moiya the answer to Jane's question. It wouldn't come up, so she wrote me an email and said the following:

    did try to put a comment up on the blog but it did not show up after I published it.

    I have a recollection of my mother making it. Or it may have been a grandmother…

    I do recall mom teaching me that I must iron all seams to one side; the same side all the way down that whole row in the quilt.

    We had to do it that way so that the hand quilter could quilt on the non-seam side where it would be easier to get the needle through only 2 layers of fabric + the batting.

    And to answer your question … Wyona could have made it but I can tell you with a lot of assurance that what I am saying is true, that Wyona did not make that quilt top. She pieces lots of fabric together to make clothing like the skirts she made for the little girls in the pictures that Marcia sent out on Facebook. She is definitely the seamstress in the family! Wyona makes designer fashions!!!

    No, she knows where to get her beautifully handmade quilts. The women over in the far east, where Wyona and Greg lived do the finest, most delicate, handwork and put together such beautiful Quilts! They are amazing women!!!

    Wyona Knits lovely sweaters too! She can even take several sweaters, cut them up and sew them back together to make “Such Fashion”!

    Wyona don’t Quilt!

    ~~ Signed Moiya

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.