Sunday, November 15, 2020

A Pizza Crust Demo

... the dough can be hung and swung ...
... pressing the dough into the pizza pan ...
... the dough in its resting stage ...
Glen gave me a package of semolina flour – a product he says makes all of the difference in pizza crust.

Since making home-made pizza seems to be a mainstay of our fall and winter meals, I took the semolina home and posted his recipe on the family food blog so others could use it.

I have been experimenting with different flatbread crusts, especially the ones in my Olives, Lemons & Za’atar cookbook, where I have learned to make Arabic bread dough softer than ever before in my life, and I have make soft dough before. 

I had in mind with Glen’s pizza to do the same kind of exploring with method and ingredients, so that I could get the texture just right for his thin crust pizza.

Lucky for me, Janet invited us over for Saturday supper – and there was a new pizza coming out of the oven every 10 minutes until no one could eat another bite.

The counter was sprinkled with flour and there were 6 pizza doughs resting on its floured surface when I got there.

I asked permission to touch the dough, which he freely gave.

Then I watched him stretch the dough, hang it off of his hand, twirl it, and then press it onto their one of their six round pizza pans. 

“This is what we do all summer,” he said, “sit on the porch and have a new pizza coming out of the oven every 10 minutes. 

Many lovely evenings spent watching the sun go down over the beloved Shuswap Lake this way.”

I usually make one kind of pizza, two at the most, per pizza night.

But already on the counter were the toppings for 6 pizzas, which could be named, and which were only cousins to each other, not identical twins as is the case in my house.

Out of the oven they came: BBQ chicken, Hawaiian, pepperoni, veggie, Mediterranean, supreme.

There were names for them all. He was right.

I ate until there was no room.
... the dough is soft and maleable ...

Not even for the ice-cream that followed. 

Alright, maybe I had a taste of one of the finer brands (a chocolate-caramel piece in vanilla) that he brought to the table, but a Pilling size bowl was out of the question.

A good pizza time was had by all.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. Even crooked hands make delightful pizza. So yummy and so many different kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that crooked hands can't do it play the Quarter game. Slapping one's hands down on a table and not having the quarter make a sound is virtually impossible. I could practise, but why hurt my hands that way. I know a story from the far distant past where someone wanted their fingers straightened, so they were told told to put them on the table, which they did. Then the healer took a Bible and smashed down on them. This is a place where I would not be singing, "Give me that old time religion ....."

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.