Monday, November 23, 2020

Grant supported the arts community

This is Mary Johnson with a few words about Uncle Grant: 

Photo Credit: Screen Shot from Video of Jeni Whiting Brown
"Because I Knew You"
To my Grant Johnson cousins:

While I  sad to hear of your dad’s passing, or Uncle Grant as I, of course, called him, I can say with confidence that he certainly took hold of life and lived it with gusto, appreciating everything going on around him.

One thing that has always made me smile is that Uncle Grant saw many concerts in which my now husband, Leo Brooks, was a percussionist, long before Leo and I were even dating. 

Leo did his Bachelor of Music at the University of Lethbridge and over the course of 4 years participated in the Lethbridge Symphony Orchestra, played in the live bands at Lethbridge summer musical reviews, and of course played in all sort of University concerts on campus. 

I had no clue Uncle Grant was such a great supported of live music in Lethbridge.  I found this out only at my wedding where Grant told me he had seen Leo in many concerts and had even gone to Leo’s final solo Graduation Concert. 

Not a lot of people who aren’t percussionists end up at that kind of specialized concert.
Both Rhiannon and Naomi have been in
musical theatre shows since moving to Lethbridge:
Rhiannon in Alice in Wonderland
and Naomi as the cat in Cat in the Hat.

No doubt Grant would have been there to 
watch shows where his grandnieces were performing.

We moved to Lethbridge just over a year ago so Leo could do his Master’s degree at the University of Lethbridge. 

Last fall and winter (pre-covid shutdown) I spent so many evening with my kids and Leo going to concerts, theatre production and art exhibits. I spent many moments in awe of the very strong arts community in Lethbridge and thought often about how Grant supported and loved this community as well.

Of course, I also felt it was a great blessing to my dad to get be at Seton with Grant, Sharon and Boyce. 

I was living across the country in Quebec during that time, so wasn’t able to spend much time at Seton visiting that great gang of Johnsons. 

I bet there are no other care facilities in Calgary that can boast that kind of family group care.

I will always remember Uncle Grant’s smile and warmth.

Sending you love and hugs,

Mary Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.