Saturday, November 14, 2020

A 6 pm Call

Moiya Wood
Last Friday at 5:55 pm to be exact, I got a call from Moiya asking us to come over for supper.

Having just opened the fridge and pulled out some vegetables to stir fry, I was happy to accept her offer and forget about continuing on with my task.

Fifteen minutes, she said, and it would be ready. 

As we knocked on the door and heard the call to enter, we saw Greg, but no Wyona. 

 “She isn’t feeling that well,” Moiya said.

Bonnie countered, “Well, I am going to look in every closet in case she jumps out at us for a joke.” 

I continued to make my first-scan-of-the-room.
Watch your closets for a surprise!


Doesn’t everyone do that? I heard Bonnie shriek – the kind I know is a signal that something out of her ordinary has happened.

I had to look around for a while until I saw an opaque figure of Wyona hiding again behind the pantry glass, waiting to scare me as well.

After that the meal was uneventful as for scares.

But I was wondering what about the apple pie I saw on Moiya’s counter.

O.K.

Maybe it was dessert first.

I was about to say that when I saw Wyona cut the crust (after the blessing on the food) and begin to lift the first piece out of the pie plate. Meat pie. Who gets an invitation to a home where home-made turkey pot pie is served?

I know how much work that was, which made the first bite taste even better.

Wyona continues to create and wear beautiful jewellery.
We lingered longer at the table, six life-long friends.

Drinks.

The Entrée.

Dessert.

The occasional rumble of the CPR train passing by.

A perfect evening. 

Arta

Moral of the Story: 
Always pick up the phone if it rings at 6 pm.

3 comments:

  1. Moiya's pantry is not a good hiding place because the door is glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trick would have worked if Bonnie had't been suspicious about you "missing" a party. I think that will be your last dance through life, Wyona -- either going to a party or throwing one.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.