Thursday, November 12, 2020

Deciduous & Coniferous—The Larch Tree

This larch (right of centre) is at the bottom of my hill
taken just at the curve where the stream
goes under the road and down the hill.
Yesterday Glen directed my attention to the larch tree that stands just to the east of my house. 

The ground is covered with a burnt yellow colour – the leaves (needles) of the larch that have fallen from the tree. 

He called the tree a deciduous tree which word mixed up my universe a bit, for a know that deciduous trees drop their leaves and I never put the larch in that category. 

He laughed and told me he likes to think about the larch at this time of the year and about how it is both coniferous and deciduous. 

He said that fact confuses a lot of people. As well he talked to me about angiosperms and gymnosperms, which terms I have to look up before I see him next. I don’t want to be as completely in the dark about those biology terms as I was yesterday.

Apparently down on Laynie's lot, the clearing is finished -- four burn piles as big as the one on Miranda's lot.  And Glen is thinking of buying a machine that will turn the boles of the trees into planks.

How cool is that!

Arta

2 comments:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.