Friday, November 13, 2020

RIP – the boat house

David and Arta at the top of the sloping area
During the 2018 and 2019 summers I worked hard around the boat house on Lot 4, trying to do some landscaping by hand so that I could walk around its perimeter. 

Last winter the pillars of the shed had too much weight on them and having already shifted from their vertical position, they collapsed as did the snow-covered roof, right onto Glen’s boat which it had been protecting.

All of that mess was taken away in the spring. 

Now there was just leveling of the ground to do, which was done a few days ago by Paul Vike with his bobcat.

Still there are lots of rocks to move – everything that the bob cat couldn’t get at.
1930 painting by Grant Wood
American Gothic


I can move some of the rocks. Using the dolly I can get at the rocks the size of watermelons, and large squash.

And the fist sized rocks? 

We move to the side so you can see the new view.
I rake those into heaps and then use the wheelbarrow to move them to some designated space.

There is a spot where the grade on the landscaping is steep. 

I have asked Glen if it is too steep there. 

He tells me it is fine, just get the rocks picked up from it. 

So there are piles of  stones all over the land.

When David Wood comes to help me, I am so grateful. I save some of the rocks for him. The rocks that are too heavy for me seem overwhelming. But in 15 minutes he can have them all moved to the side and be asking if there is anything else he can do.

I think I have been a success if I have raked and pulled rocks into heaps that I leave behind. I try to figure out who can pick them up, but I think the answer is me.

Later I use my flat bottomed shovel to transfer them into a wheel barrow, not too many at a time for the wheel barrow has to be light enough to move.

I can’t figure out what there is in this for me, because it sounds like a lot of work.

Still I look forward to waking up each morning and getting at the job of moving rocks. I think my pleasure is the vision of three little children running and playing on that grassy area.

Arta
 

4 comments:

  1. This is just too funny (the Secwepemc Gothic image)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie said she wished I had turned the rake upside down so that the tines were at the top. Well, next time. I am sure I will be out there on the land again, probably long before the snow melts. I have to resuce my tools that are covered with snow. At least I can find the dolly, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow came too fast. We needed Paul for at least one more week or more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there is enough work on the property for him to have stayed longer. But the thing for him is that he needed to get away while he could still get his equipment out without having it sliding all over the roads.

    The snow was lovely when it came. Now it is melted enough that there are patches of snow and patches of mud, interlocking. I noticed on the stretch where I have rocks to pick up, that now I can see the piles of rocks exposed, and I was thinking to myself, "Those rocks aren't going to be any easier to pick up in the spring, than they are now -- so just do it. But then I didn't jump out of the car and do it. I went on to another task.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.