Monday, November 9, 2020

Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich

I got a call from Arta and Bonnie for a quick visit.  I happened to be making "oreo cookies" for ice cream sandwiches.  I was using a cookie recipe that calls for a box of devil's food cake mix, 4 eggs and 2/3 cup of oil.

 

The cookies are puffed up with they come out of the oven, but settle as they cool.
 

It said bake the cookies for 10 minutes at 325C.  I had my oven at 350 and they were still a little raw after they cooled.  I would recommend baking them for more like 15 minutes so they end up a little more cooked. 

You can see the cookies have flattened down.

 

 
Mine collies ended up pretty doughy in the middle which made them sort of fragile and hard to manipulate for the assembly into ice cream sandwiches.  Nevertheless these are a great cookies for this purpose.  Not my favourite cookies just to eat on its own.  For that, I will always stick with a classic oatmeal chocolate chip. 

I assembled all the sandwiches and put them back into the freezer to firm up a bit more before eating (OK well, I may have eaten one right away.  It was hard to resist). 










3 comments:

  1. this is just rubbing it in. I wish ANYONE in my household liked to bake for others as a sign of love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to make an ice cream sandwich that really works. If I were in your house and served this treat, I think I would pretty well feel as though I had hit Nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the third time reading this post. I picked up on the idea of putting the ice cream cookies back in the freezer to firm up this time. Right now, Bonnie has picked up on the fact that she has a dairy allergy, so no ice cream for her. Mmmm. All the more for me.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.