Monday, November 16, 2020

Random Thoughts about a Pizza Party

I am going to try to capture some memorable moments at the pizza party on Saturday, at least the ones where I had my camera out.  I forget when I am having a lot of fun, to stop and take a picture.  I can't stop the flow of the automatic fun until it is over...and then it is too late for pictures of the event that just happened.



Wyona is helping to put toppings on the pizza.  I should add here that one of the highlights of the evening was the 8 of us trying to figure out what was happening with Shauna and David Pilling's chickens.  I have been saving my paper egg cartons in case she needs them.  Glen said that he didn't think they were in need of those, that the chickens only lay 2 eggs every 4 days.  "Is that eight eggs a day," Wyona said, her math being the solution to another problem.  Then Bonnie asked a question as to whether he was computing for just the chickens were the rooster and the intersex animal in the computations.  When Glen explained with is simplest solution, "They chickens are laying 1/2 an egg a day", I thought I had hit my funniest moment of the day.


And for dessert?  Apple cobbler, or what you see here is the last of the apple cobbler.  What other dessert would we have when people have been trying to pick all of the apples off of the trees so that they don't spoil or get taken by the bears.



Moiya took on the job of cutting the pizza's.  Her qualications?  She was nearest to the cutting board and of all of us, she can still jump up easily.


Pepperoni? 
Need I say more.


The pizza before us was always hot.  And the crust was perfect, if you like your pizza so that when you pick it up, it stays firm and doesn't slowly wilt down the size of your hand.  So yes.  Hot and a firm crust.  Delicious.



This appears to have spinach, olives and roasted red peppers. 
Looking at it I wish I had eaten just one more piece.

On a side table, there was one of the pottery bowls Janet fired this summer.
Beautiful.
Wyona was commenting that with a side nose and another couple of eyes, the style would have been definitely Pablo Picassi, a beatiful dish and I held it in my hands and turned it over quite a few times.


Ingredients chopped and ready to be put on the pizza.
I couldn't have chosen the right colour of board on which on which to display the ingredients,
if I had search all day for it in various kitchen shops.
Go, Pillings, go!

I asked about the two twigs sitting on the counter. 
Glen had been in an area of BC where they have a tree that has five needles in a clump on its twigs. 
He brought an example of it home.  
I asked him about it. 
He wrote, "Limber pine (pinus flexilis).  
Golden B.C. is the furtherest north it it ranges.
It has a symbiotic relationship with Clark’s nutcracker (Nucifraga columbiana.)
For more see https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Clarks_Nutcracker/overview"
As well, Glen reminded me I will have to be up high. The only nut pines around here are the limber pine around Golden and the white bark pine in the sub-alpine. He says I may hear this bird if I were on the top of Bastion, but definitely not in the hills behind us -- the Larch Hills.


... and now, an example of a pizza ready to go into the oven -- a hot oven for 8 to 10 minutes ...


... Janet, hosting the party, making sure eveyone has a beverage ...


... Moiya holds back laughter, which it is about to erupt ...

 

Moiya is using the Chinese meat cleaver here to cut the pizza -- the best tool, even better than one of the pizza cutters that uses a roller, we concluded.  The board she is cutting it on is the circle that is sawed out of a counter when a sink is is being put in a kitchen.  Many of us kept that larger oval or square over the years.  I wondered when they stored arborite piece. 
"Between the fridge and the counter, in that small space where something tall can be stored upright."

 Janet was reminded of buying that large cleaver over 25 years ago when families started cooking "Chinese".  We all bought a wok and a good heavy cleaver in those days.  Both are tools that have paid for themselves in use over the years. Doesn't everyone have them?

4 comments:

  1. That was the best pizza ever, best pizza ever!! I want to hire Janet and Glen to serve a pizza party at our house next year. Sadly they have already declined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moiya... where'd you get that white Arta hair?
    You make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane,

    All of my sisters have white hair now. Wyona's may have purple highlights from time to time. Moiya often has a sophisticated new cut. She looks great, doesn't she? I continue to have black eyebrows, but even that will change with time -- like 10 more years if I am so lucky. Thanks for reading and welcome to your next trip around the sun, since wasn't it your birthday a few days ago?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.