Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Gardening on Lot 4

... chain saw wrapped in hammock rope ...
This summer, every time I watching Michael, Alice and Betty at the lake side of their cabin at the Shuswap,  I was wondering long it would be until a tractor or a bobcat came to land so that a little bit of clearing could be done.

I was imagining taking out the brush on the lake side of the cabin so that we would have better view.

I was imagining widening the path between the cabin and the house, just getting a few rocks out of the way.

... David has used his chain saw on trees,
cutting them into 8 foot lengths
to be dragged to the pile of debris and burned ...
And when I let my imagination soar, I wondered if we could clear out the sand pile, the pile of clay and the pile of loan, having done all of the gardening with those three soils that I think I want to do in a lifetime.


"Now let's see if I can fix this?"
So today was that day when the brush was cleared between the lots and the slope was graded.

I could never figure out why the land was so bumpy beside the boat house, or at least the space where the boat house was and is no more.

Just memories are attached to the land there. But my guess is that when it was first cleared, all of the large rocks were dozed over there – getting them out of the way then, but making it impossible to walk in that area.
David has to carry the chain saw and drag the tree
that the rope is attached to, to unwind the rope
and get his chainsaw ready to work again.

So that has changed. The largest rocks (oversized – too big for me to carry) have been transported down to the lakeside perimeter of the land and that area has been smoothed a bit, and some fill added. I am pretty sure someone is going to put a picnic table there and then never leave.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.