Monday, January 4, 2021

a quick snowshoe tour of the lake

A still quiet morning in Annis Bay.
My friend Andrea gave me a call this morning. She asked if I wanted to go snowshoeing with her again. We both had the day off work and so began to discuss options.

Our last adventure of this sort was in the field between our homes, but that snow had already melted from the rain. 

A drive up to Larch Hills Nordic Ski Area yesterday revealed a pretty bumpy, icy road to get there, and might involve more car than outdoor time since we would be getting a late start.

A quick call to Moiya and Dave to confirm the conditions at the lake and the plan was set. 

This would be  Andrea's first trip to Larch Haven. 

We made it there by 1130am. We saw signs of neighbors, a plowed road, a plowed driveway, but no person in sight.

Andrea loved her visit.  
Here are some of her observations that linger with me as I reflect back on the highlights of my day. 
She said:
No containing my joy.
  • You must feel so grateful to have access to this beautiful area.
  • (Audible gasp) A creek? I could stand here all day listening to it.
  • What a beautiful view of the lake.
  • It's so peaceful here.
  • A train going by! The sound of it is muted, soft and rhythmic.
  • Thank you for sharing this beauty spot with me today.
But the thanks go to her. It was a gift to me, seeing the familiar through her eyes, hearing through her ears. 

As you can see from the photos, it was a misty day. 

The water was calm. 
Only one train went by that hour. 
We got to wave at two of my loved ones, Uncle Glen at work by a window, Aunt Moiya waving from her porch.

There was just the right amount of snow for a quick snowshoe tour. 

Energized by the walk.
I suggested there should be a part II of this adventure on another day. 

Perhaps we will tackle the grandfather trail.

In the afternoon I listened to a recording of Mary Oliver reading from her book "A Thousand Mornings" at 92nd St Y on Oct 15, 2012. 

It was relaxing to soak up her words on the heels of such a lovely winter walk. 

Her phrase, "Attention is the beginning of devotion." fits with my day.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pictures. I, too, love the view, that curve of the winter bay behind you. And I love the view of the Johnson cabin -- over 50 years old and I am still awakened to its smell of cedar.

    I also like the view, the sound of the water, the tremble of the earth as the train goes by and the stillness there when all is quiet. Calming, the idea of snowshoeing, Moiya waving from her deck; Glen at work through his window. "Attention is the beginning of devotion: indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I speculated that the snow was insulating us from some of the sounds of the train. I most often think of the train reaching my senses through vibration of air being interpreted by my brain as sound after travelling through the wonder that is the auditory system.

    Your line, "the tremble of the earth" helped me patch together that the sound that reaches my ears of glass bowls pinging on the top of the armoire in the kitchen when a train goes by are part of a chain-reaction that includes trembling of the earth.

    Do you think Mary Oliver's description of the call of wild geese, "harsh and exciting," also applies to the sounds of a train going by?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.