Sunday, January 10, 2021

Your grandmother loves shopping

a most excellent sale!  
During the trivia question period at the 2020 Family Christmas party, some people were surprised when a question asking them to identify Grandmother’s favourite activity had in it, as one of the multiple choice questions, shopping. 

Few people clicked on that option, choosing instead blogging or making cinnamon buns.

Shopping is my favourite activity: shopping at the grocery store, a bookstore, shopping at big box stores, at thrift stores, at Sport Check, at apparel shops or looking at semi-precious stones in a bead shop .

I like to go into Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Princess Auto -- I just like shopping.

... my buyer brings home extra boxes for me ...
I love going up and down the aisles, looking at the wonderful products that have been manufactured -- not so much buying, but just looking at the number of objects a person can purchase to enhance their happiness. Of course, I have my cart with me. And yes, I fill it with whatever would seem to bring me joy. The price at the checkout is rarely more than the cost of seeing a musical in London.

There are also two side events going on when I am at Costco, one of them being gathering boxes to pack my purchases in as I go. I can pick something up and have it boxed for carry-out before I even buy it. I search for well-constructed boxes, one of which is the Real Lemon juice box. I can use it for multiple other purposes when I get home. It's just a great size to trade things back and forth from house to house with my sister or my nieces and nephews. I like to put foolspapers in this size of box when I'm shuffling them on my writing table. I can use this size of box to stack odd sized toys in when I am playing with my grandchildren -- even to stack books in.

The box is durable, sturdy and free, as is my other most favourite cardboard box: the Lea & Perrins box.
It is the right size to fit in drawers to hold stocks, and I use this box to house multiple pill containers.

I don't mind the look of playful mockery that comes on the face of the person who has to bring these boxes in from the car when I have gathered extras of them.

... a big thank you to all who bought Lee & Perrins
and left these boxes on the shelves ...
 
When we were
at the lake Rebecca reached for a bottle of Lee & Perrins
out of my fridge and I had none.  She said, I can't believe
for how many empty boxes of Lee & Perrins you have around
this house, you have none of the actual product.

Whoops.
I was glad to have Richard email me the fact that the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce was on sale in Calgary, to alert me that there were extra empty boxes on the shelves.

Being in Victoria, I couldn't get to them, but still, sometimes it is just good to know that a sale exists.

One of the other old joys of Costco was the food court which has now been transformed into a place to keep winter tires. 

I will know that COVID is truly over when the benches are back in place and families can gather around those tables at the end of a day of shopping, happy to get one of Costco's Best Buys: a frankfurter and a refillable drink for $1.50. 

Yes to the happiness I find when shopping.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.