Tuesday, January 5, 2021

A Short Story by David

Grade 10
David had an English class assignment - tell a story about an important event in your life that changed you. Here's what he submitted. He was open to it being shared on the blog. Enjoy!

A Man, a Pencil and a Pair of Scissors Walk Into a Classroom
by David Camps-Johnson
Dec 2020

As I sit on my chair I hear the semi consistent crackle of a lighter being lit and fading away. 

I look around the classroom; searching for the out of place sound’s source.

My eyes stumble upon Tom, scissors in one hand, pencil in the other.

My mouth opens as I ponder aloud “Why does Tom have a pair of scissors?”

Hearing this, Gunnar, the student sitting next to me turned away from his paper, his gaze suddenly fixed on Tom’s antics.

We watched with baited breath as Tom began to try and cut the pencil with his scissors.

He made steady progress as he worked the dull scissors around the pencil, cutting off flecks of wood and chipping the paint.

I had a fleeting thought that I was supposed to be working instead of wasting my time watching Tom’s amateur whittling skills at work, but I brushed that thought aside.

I was bored and this was the most entertaining thing in the room. Suddenly, Tom put down the scissors and reached into his pocket, retrieving a granola bar sized fabric bag from which he pulled a small multitool. He quickly skimmed through the different tools until he found the one he wanted. Flipping it to an upright position, he revealed a small serrated knife and returned to his work.

Seeing this, Gunnar and I burst into laughter, but that laughter quickly turned to shock as Tom swiftly cut the pencil in half in mere seconds. With his work complete, Tom put away the multitool and returned to his seat. Seeing as the only source of entertainment in the room had vanished, I returned to my blank paper.

As I thought back to the lighter I had heard oh so long ago, I pondered what to write about for my English project.

Then, similarly to a freight train, inspiration struck.

3 comments:

  1. David, what a great last line. I am in Victoria now and I don't hear the trains every hour or so. I am going to look today to see how inspiration hits me today, since I can't use your very funny train metaphor at the end of your piece. Thanks for sharing your writing. Please do it again ... when inspiration hits, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David said he's not satisfied with his title for the story. I actually like the title, but still offered an alternative. My suggestion of "A man, a pencil, a pair of scissors, and a freight train" was rejected on the basis of the train being too late in the story, too peripheral, and just part of a literary device (metaphor? simile?). Do you have a suggested alternative title? I offer $5 to whomever comes up with one he likes. Multiple entries allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... The Train of Inspiration
    A Train of Thought (or A Train of Thoughts)
    Struck by a Train of Thought

    that is all my tired brain can come up with at the moment. Ria

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.