Saturday, January 9, 2021

Show Boat

Tonight David, Joaquim, and I watched the first half of the musical  Show Boat. It was the first musical that caught our collective eye on the platform BroadwayHD. Truth be told, I, Bonnie, thought it was going to be the musical about a man who sells  instruments to people, but ends up staying in the town to teach them how to play.

As the Australian orchestra played the overture, I realized I was going to know at least some of the words already to at least three of the songs. I also began to realize that this wasn't the musical I thought it was. We all agreed to just keep watching anyway so our night was spent watching rather than selecting something to watch. 


We generated some questions. Can any readers answer these questions?

1. During the song, "Till Good luck Comes My Way," Mr. Ravenal states that even when his luck is down, he can borrow money as long as he has his heart, his brain, and  his __________.


2. True or False. In the Johnson family, there is an ancestor who shares the first name Gaylord with Mr Ravenal.

3. Why is Queenie so shocked when Miss Julie sings "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man?"

4 . What type of hat is Mr. Joe wearing when he sings "Old Man River?"

5. What does Queenie say Mr Joe would put in flap jacks so they would flip on their own?

6. What does miscegenation mean?

7. How does Steve solve his legal problem?

8. What is Miss Nola's full first name?

9. What is the name of the Show Boat.

10. When Miss Nola tells Joe she has fallen in love, Joe immediately guesses what kind of person Mr Ravenal is. He guesses he is what?


1 comment:

  1. My best guesses on your questions:

    2. I do not know about the Johnson side of the family but on the Pilling side one of my dad's cousins was Gaylord Pilling. Sometimes they called him Happy God.

    3. This is a song that only coloured people sing, and Queenie doesn't know that Miss Julie is coloured.

    6. miscegenation is the marriage of people considered to be of different racial types.
    I did not know the answer to this question until I was in my 50's.

    9. The name of the boat is Cotton Blossom

    10 Ravenal may be a "no-account river fellow".

    Keep the questions coming, David.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.