Thursday, January 7, 2021

The Fridge

 

Delicious meals come and go out of our fridge – some brought to us by friends, some purchased at the local outlets, both main stream and the Asian markets – even some food in the fridge from Fujiya, the local fast food Japanese take-out spot.

For a few days, when Rebecca would look in the fridge, I kept hearing her comment that there was Miso soup in the fridge, 3 containers bought by Alex.

Nothing to do with eating it one way or the others. Just that comment that slips out of someone’s mouth when surveying possibilities in the fridge.

So tonight I decided just a small bowl of Miso soup would do. I looked at the top of the container: Hikari*Miso, also known as Organic Miso, White type, and further, certified non gmo, which is a label Alex might look for. I looked at the price: $7.50 for 500 grams. I thought the price was a bit steep but I know I can only eat half of that, so I spooned the paste out into a soup bowl and began to microwave it, thinking I was having a $3.00 soup.

After one minute, no softening in the texture of the soup.

After 2 more minutes, still no softening.

II took the bowl to the sink and added just a bit of water since the paste was steaming. I was stirring a small amount of water in and getting at least a bit of soupy consistency at which point Rebecca came upstairs from her self-imposed marking exile in the basement to ask me what I was doing.

“Making miso soup.”

“How much miso did you put in?”

“About 250 grams.”

“If you had read the instructions you would have seen 1 tbsp to one cup of water. What you attempting to swallow is like sucking OXO cubes.”

Woops. No wonder I was thinking to myself as I was tasting it and after I had at least read the label, – wow, this is going to be only bowl for the year.

Too salty for me.

Arta

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.