Thursday, January 21, 2021

Inuit Law and Film - Two Meta Questions

Week Two - Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Rebecca reflected on the two big questions we will have as we go forward, studying our film and written texts. 

The first meta question is how can we do the work of intercultural encounter so that we do no harm. She reminded us that we are in a closed space of learning, reconciliation, and theorizing which will make the work easier. She had just come from a meeting where NGO’s were working with the same questions about doing more good than harm.

The second big question is one she short-hands by talking about mountains and valleys, metaphorically the landscape where I am standing. There are metaphorical truths that are associated with the place I am standing and what I should understand is that each encounter for me, I should not judge according to where others are standing, but according to where I am. She reminds me that what I do every day is GE: shorthand for GE.

Some of the readings are more difficult than others. She reminded the class that the authors are not talking to us, they are speaking to others who are in on their perspective and working with ideas and languages that come out of their disciplines. We are just at the dinner party, listening in and hoping to learn.

Emberley's article is found in
Defamiliarizing the Aboriginal

When I was doing the Julia V. Emberley article,”The Spatial Politics of Homosocial Colonial Desire in Robert Flaherty’s Nanook of the North, I found both the title and the reading dense. 

 I was not just at the dinner party,   I was taking notes on every sentence I was reading. 

I do not get Foucault but the author does and she was showing me how to apply it to my reading of the film, Nanook of the North. Hard political conversations are not easy.

Pretty cool. 

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.