Thursday, January 21, 2021

On Shopping at The Fig

The Fig
Shopping is one thing I really miss. 

On our way home from a doctor's appointment, Rebecca said that she would stop at the Mediterranean store called The Fig and pick up a few grocery items for Alex.

Among other things, she buys him some Jasmine honeycomb. When we get home, he is grateful and asks me to try some. I don't really like honey. But if someone asks me to try something, I am all in. I have a flashback to my dad bringing home honeycomb and so like then, I'm putting the beeswax in my mouth and sucking the honey out of it; then chewing the wax for a long time before spitting it out. Alex is gone by now, but I wonder if he is chewing the wax as my dad told me to do.

Alex had wanted some bulk sesame seeds. He was specific about his wants. I just wanted to taste Mediterranean cuisine. I stayed in the car and listen to music though I am the one who really wants to go in. Rebecca shopped for tzatziki, hummus, baba ghanoush, figs, and a small container of tabouli which she assures me no one else will eat. I watch that container during the week. I am sure there is someone else’s spoon dipping into it.

She buys sangak bread that's probably one yard long. I can fold it over and still have a large package. Fresh the label says. I can see the bread has been frozen; it's come frozen from the interior of BC.

Fresh to me means bread has come out of the oven less than half an hour ago. In this case fresh means toast the bread and the flavour will be as good as new. I like the bread’s supple texture. I like the how it folds and bends -- it reminds me of eating Ethiopian stews. But Rebecca toasts the bread. Now it is a very thin wafer under onto the top of which I can scoop the delicious food that I have on my plate. Now I go to the internet for information about the bread: sangak is Farci for small pebbles; the bread is baked on small pebbles’ it should not be surprised to find small rocks on the bread. I will be surprised if there are rocks on mine.

I plate up my food, small spoonful in each quadrant, 

She bought tahnini halva. I taste some and then go look on the internet to see how this is made. 

 I know this taste. Halva is made of sesame seed paste also known as tahini and sugar. It has a dense and crumbly texture and is sometimes flavored with cocoa powder or vanilla. I go back and taste it again. And again. I don't know if I like the halva or not. I remember that a person has to taste something 17 times before they know if they like it. I am on my seventh try now with halva. I am sure I will like the taste more. now that I've gone out and read so much on the web about it. 

Food and factoids about food get mixed up in an experience like this. I didn't like to read that halva is usually served at funerals. Don’t serve this at mine.

I fantasize that I am shopping when I unpack the bags when Rebecca brings the groceries in from the car. I am so glad that Rebecca stopped at The Fig. 

I eat the grocery-run from The Fig for 3 days, each time so thrilled to have a taste of the Mediterranean again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.