Saturday, January 9, 2021

A loving meditation on saskatoons.

... illustration by Christelle Enault ...
I was travelling around the internet and came on this loving meditation on saskatoons by Robin Waller Kimmerer in Emergence Magazine.


I grew up on saskatoons.  I don't remember picking them.  I think I stayed home with the baby and while my motheer took the rest of the family out picking saskatoons.  

I do remember tens, may hundreds of quarts and even two-quart botlles preserved for the winter.  

I didn't like them saskatoons fresh in a dish, nor in a pie.    I did love the pie crust and the cream that we got to pour on top of our piece of pie.  Do those two ingredients count?  And I can't imagine that we wouldn't have been allowed sugar and cream in a bowl of fresh saskatoons.   But for me, I would have gone heavy on the cream, light on the saskatoons.

Whatever one's taste for saskatoons, Kimmerer writes a powerful essay on the politics of food.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.