Sunday, January 3, 2021

Sonnet for Doral -

 Untitled


Side by side we watched Simpsons on the couch

And you told me fantastical stories

Of the knights who shout and the thieves who crouch

Nights filled with mythical allegories

 

As you watched me grow with eyes of wonder

I looked to the sky with sights set higher

Although in life I may sometimes blunder

You were there when situations turned dire

 

I have grown to find us now quite alike

From our puns to our jokes and love of games

The stories we read and the shows we like

I'm proud to share initials and last names

 

Together we watched the Lord of the Rings

And you inspired me to write wondrous things


             ~~~ Dalton Johnson

4 comments:

  1. Dalton. A sonnet. I studying your face as you read your poem to your father, and I saw your love for him in the shifting landscape of your feelings from of fond memories to playful humour. What a treasure your poem is, your love for your father is, and you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the return to the form of the sonnet, Dalton. What a wonderful course you took. I don't suppose you will ever read a sonnet in the same way again. I wish I had been reading along with you.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.