Thursday, January 14, 2021

Getting the Question Wrong

The scene from the window of my writing desk.
I was trying to capture how the droplets of
rain would hang on the branches of the tree.
I just couldn't get close enough to get it!
About my blog, Rebecca says it won't go dead in a week if I post less. 

Once a week is good enough she posited.

I laughed. 

Good, but not good enough for me.

What goes dead as a week passes by and I don’t post, is all the thoughts I have as my day spins, each day a rush for me: wanting to fill these last 20 years of my life with all the best that life has to offer.

A couple of days ago Rebecca asked the question in the Inuit Film and Law Class, what are the legal orders you have experienced. I didn't understand the question. I thought she had asked the question what other indigenous legal orders have you experienced. I began to list all of the experiences I've had with other indigenous legal orders, but no, she just wanted to know what other legal orders have you had experience with: France or Belgium or China or Spain or any place where a legal order is operating and you are subject to it.

I often do that -- make a question harder than it is.

I'm a big list maker when I try to answer a question. And worse, if I don’t like the question that was asked, I just continue on with the question I wish had been asked -- which act I am doing now.

I am going to make a list of other indigenous legal orders that I have encountered, just because I want to do that. For me, the broader question that perplexes me is, what does encounter mean? Taking a credit level Meti class? Is that an encounter? Going to a pow wow? Being invited to attend a Winter Gathering? Reading books written by indigenous people about indigeneity? How does one encounter indigenous legal orders?

Also filling my time is a long list of films I want to see out on Netflix. I gathered that from an article I read called “The 50 Best Films on Netflix”. I'm going to watch choices of the critics, to make my way around lots of film experiences. Why no?. In the evenings I'm too tired to blog, too tired to read “The New Yorker”, and too tired to pick up my supper dishes and put them in the dishwasher. But I am rarely too tired to pick up the controller to that big screen.

The stairs that lead from my writing desk
to the back yard.  Sometimes I want to just
sit and look at the lines of the stairs 
and the bannister in the rain.
My son-in-law, Eric, said that he had watched “The Last Kingdom” (on Netflix) and highly recommended it. I gave it a try a couple of nights ago. I thought I had watched about 13 hours straight, but when I looked at my watch I hadn’t even been sitting there for 2 hours. I think it was the constant going to sleep, waking up, nodding off again, waking up, just resting my eyes for one second which turned into 10 seconds, and then someone coming into the room and waking me again that made me feel time had gone by for so long.

I'm going to watch a little more of the series. I'm not a history buff though, of course, I want to know everything about the past. I just don’t learn best from a book that is titled “The History of the Middle Ages”. 

So, I am going to continue being curious about the past, and push my way through a history Netflix series. 

 Afterall, I have 20 more years to do everything I want to do and learning through film is one thing I can master.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.