Saturday, January 18, 2020

A pair of ungulates spotted dining on willows.

Dinner conversation can be hard to get started. We each need time to shift our focus from what we were doing to what is in front of us without our thoughts skipping ahead to what we want or must do next. January 16th was no expection to this rule for the three of us gathered around a Churches Thrift Shop table in our sanctuary in snowy Secwépemculecw.

Apple pie always makes me think of Grandpa Doral.
Joaquim reported over dessert that at his work there had been some unexpected visitors. I offered him no more than a fleeting glance of acknowledgment, my mouth watering, with my mind focused on the hot slice of Laura's apple pie on my plate, my fork hesitating above the the tiles of the triangle, my eyes darting back and forth between the cooler crust and the tongue scalding potential if the pie filling.

It wasn't until today, more than a day later, that I processed what he had been sharing, and understood the joy in his voice. I was catching up on the news, and read in the  Shuswap Observer that two moose had been sighted at the Okanagan Community College. The article included a link to a video: there they were, a pair of magestic creatures on the other side of the library glass windows,  having a mid day snack. "If they had been in Catalonia," I wish I had asked Joaquim, "would it have been a little early for berenar?"

2 comments:

  1. I had to go look up berenar. And then I remembered that long wait until supper at 10 pm. It just seems to wrong to eat at that time of night -- given that bedtime is 9 pm for me.

    The link to the moose doesn't work, but the picture is there -- a moose munching on willows. You know how tourists from Japan and China are always hoping to see a bear. Well seeing a moose like this would be a better wish -- amazing and just as dangerous, given their weight and size, if a person is looking for danger.

    And Laura's apple pie also looks good. I have some whipping cream in the fridge that would be good drizzed over top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, as well, for the allusion to the table you were eating on -- whenever Wyona and I see something substantial, wooden, with the look of care about it from the previous owner -- no scratches -- I can always imagine the lovely dining room that once held it, and I want to bring it home to my home, or to the home of a loved one.

    Oh, don't we love shopping at Churches Thrift Store.

    For me, it is as welcome as a destination holiday. Even better for they deliver if I happen to buy more than I can carry.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.