Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Sweet, sour or salty.


From Mary:

What is your favourite taste? Sweet, sour or salty.

I love all three, but I am especially fond of sour and fermented flavours. This must be why I love Kombucha. A few years ago I was inspired to start making Kombucha because Richard was making it. I had never even tried it before when I started making it. I just wanted to be like him.

I used to bring it in and share it at work, and eventually convinced some friends at work who love to buy it and who were spending exorbitant amount of money of it, to start making their own as well.

So our Kombucha club was established.

It wasn’t until I tried the batches my friends were making that I realized how much sugar is typically found in the drink. I make mine very, very, very dry.

My friends affectionately called it “medicinal grade.” Sort of just like drinking vinegar.


I gave up making it many months ago when I started to cut more sugar out of my diet. 

Every once in a while I really crave a bottle but I usually find it too sweet when I buy it. 

This week, I decided to buy a bottle. This brand had three flavours – two had 24 grams of sugar in the bottle, but the blood orange only had 12 so I decided to give it a try.

It was very delicious, but I drank half one day and half the next day.

I am missing my medicinal grade Kombucha. Maybe I can just drink some apple cider vinegar.

Mary


2 comments:

  1. There are drinking vinegars out there. Poke Poke is one brand and Luke's Pharmacy carries them. My favorite is the Ginger, which is very hard to get. I drink it diluted with club soda - very refreshing in the summer. Ria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary agrees with you, Ria. The drinking vinegars are fantastic. She is watching out for calories, so she drinks the least sweet and in the end, prefers to make her own. I loved the drink you brought out to the lake last spring. You are right. Refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.