Monday, January 13, 2020

A Shoulder Prayer

Image credit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-august-snow-
mountains-canmore-summer-over-early-winter-1.4800413
Today the temperature was -26 C. I was double layered, warmly wrapped, and my ski gloves were attached to my wrists. My hat may have been askew when I tossed my knapsack over my head and onto my shoulders but I looked at the way others were dressed and nobody was out there in high fashion today.  A black crooked hat on my head meant nothing to others.

I was dressed for the weather. Only a thin space between my hat and my scarf was exposed, a small slit for my eyes to look through.

The two LRT trains passed each other at the Brentwood Station and the other passenger standing beside me opened the wire gate for me. I walked through and thanked him.

 He was careful to walk through the next intersection with me, making sure the oncoming car had stopped before we proceeded.

I thanked him again.

He said, “You’re welcome, grandma.”

 Being called grandmother by people I don’t know is a something I am getting used to.

As we crossed the street, he asked me if I go to church. I said yes.

We kept walking. I asked him if he reads the Bible. He said yes., he loves it

I asked him if he likes church.

He said, yes, I love it unless the sermon is too secular.

I kept walking, heading to my acupuncture treatment but I am not a fast walker these days. He slowed his stride down and walked along with me.

He asked, could I pray for you, grandmother.

 I am not going to turn down a gift like that.  I told him yes.

He said, “I will just put my arm on your shoulder when I pray.” I was surprised.  I thought he was going to ask my name and send it up to the heavens in the evening. But now he put his arm on my shoulder. I kept walking. He started his prayer, arm on my shoulder as we walked, praying, a lovely prayer full of good thoughts.

 I had to stop him for I had to let him know I had to turn a corner.  He closed the prayer off. I think he offered some Indigenous words at the end. I wish I had stopped and asked him what language he was speaking, but I had my trip timed and was going to land at the Drs exactly on time – no time to stop and visit in the warm of his concern for me.

He turned the corner with me.  As we continued to walk, he told me that he wishes he could do more good in the world and that he wishes he could be more focused in his Christianity.

I asked him if he would like me to pray for him.

He said he would like that. Without missing a step, I put my arm on his shoulder and while walking along the sidewalk of the strip mall at the Hilltop Centre, I offered my own prayer for him, that he would have confirmation that what he was doing was enough, that the Lord knew what was in heart, that he should go forth in peace, trusting that his good works are known to the heavens.

With that, we separated and I walked one more block to the acupuncturist.

Today, I didn’t miss a beat.

If I wrote fiction, I could not make up what happens to me in real life.

1 comment:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.