Thursday, January 16, 2020

Alice Comes By to Read

.... Alice and Betty sharing a toy lll
Alice slipped over to my house to see me today. She said that Michael wasn’t coming. She didn’t know why.

Moiya had called me just as Alice walked in the door, so we had a three-way conversation, before I sat down to read phonics with her.  Moiya at the Shuswap and Alice and me getting ready to read.

Alice was listening carefully to Moiya’s questions. When Moiya quizzed Alice about the Chinese New Year Party last week, Alice didn’t have much to say until Moiya asked her what was the most fun of the party.

... Alice on Christmas Day ...
“Going home,” said Alice.

Moiya was laughing pretty hard and said that shc could hardly wait to hear what Wyona would say to that.

 Then Alice told Moiya that it was the red envelopes at the end of the party: the ones filled with money. The bags that she could take home.

Yes.

That was a sweet part of the party.

Every party should finish off that way.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. That toy box they are sharing sure looks a lot like delicious chocolates. Chocolate boxes make such excellent storage containers. I bought some Quality street chocolates this Christmas. I offered them for dessert one evening over the holidays. David opened the box and said, "You mean chocolates really come in these tins? I thought these containers were only for toys." The ones at the lake where he spend his early elementary school years probably didn't even have a lingering scent of chocolate in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a drawer full of empty tins, boxes, cloth bags, zippered pouches, Chinese net bags, all waiting to be filled with something -- all emptied, but I am not able to throw any of them away.

    In fact, the empty containers have spilled out into a big laundry basket and now it is full as well. I just opened one black box that my iphone came in. The drawer pulls out so slowly and so smoothly. No wonder I can't throw it away. I asked myself, "But who needs 3 empty, clean Nivea tins? Is it right to save these until the day that someone else (not me) takes over and downsizes until there is nothing left of me. Of my possessions, to remind people that I love empty containers. I am sure there is something just around the corner to fill them with. And in fact, there was, for yesterday I bought 10 (or 20)) chocolate bars at London Drugs and filled one beautiful silver box with a magnetic clip on the cover. I can hardly wait until I bring those out for Alice, Betty and Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David's comment that he thought only toys were stored in the Quality Street Chocolate Tins is right on the mark and so utterly "David". A fabulous sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.