Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Christmas for One: #2 Beautiful Fir Branches


I am cleaning up around the Christmas tree, sweeping up the needles, and wondering how to get water to the base of the tree.


I haven’t figured out the best way, so I fill my 12 cup Pyrex measuring cup with water and I get down low to pour the liquid in.


Low enough that I am down on the ground with my face horizontal to the floor. Of course, I still can’t quite see.

Fir branches keep flipping into my eyes and I wonder how I am going to keep watering this tree for the next 25 days.


I am not going to deprive the tree of water. 


I like to drink and the tree might like to do that as well.



I just take a chance and start to pour the water.


I am pretty sure I got half of the water in the Christmas tree stand and half on the floor around me.


That is what towels are made for.


Mopping up mistakes.


Arta

9 comments:

  1. Also... that is an amazing side table! Who made it? (besides the earth)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The side table came from a trip Dave and I made to Churches Thrift Shop. I was looking for a 75" long table for Bonnie, but the thrift store shuts down those outside tents that have furniture in them, and only has the small electronics tent out during the winter.
    I saw the table and remembered that Wyona's dream is to make a few pieces of furniture like this. I thought about gathering the wood, making all of the pieces the right size, and pounding in the nails. I asked the clerk, "How much?" She said "$4." I asked her about a small box that one might keep magazines in, that was next to the table.

    She said "$3 for that one, or $5 for both pieces."

    I could hardly say no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The owl was a gift from Polly Steele at the library. She used it to decorate the tree in the library one year -- just one owl in the tree. I didn't know before that simplicity could be so spectacular. Even knowing tha, I am going to add to my tree some other fake-feathered creatures that I can pull from a Christmas decorations box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't matter if the tree gets water. If it dies - just go get another one and throw that one on the burn pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really - Its okay. Lurene's lot needs clearing but leave the rocks alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this tree so much. The simlicity of the owl and nest is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Mary. I had no idea that an 80 year-old-adult would enjoy a tree so much. But that 80 year old is me. is me. When I walk by it a small smile crosses my lips. A curious combination of factors in the happiness: the tree grew in my yard; the time enjoying the tree inside has been longer than the set up time; no one has "bah humbugged"the tree or grieved the time it took to assemble it.

    All in all, a perfect tree. A perfect Xmas.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.