Wednesday, December 2, 2020

My Angel Mother - Vernetta Reed

I asked Joanne Reed Smith if she would share the words she said at her mother's funeral.

Below are Joanne's words, sprinkled with some pictures she sent me as well:

  ~ ~ ~

I am grateful to be able to be a part of this special day. 

 In fact, today is our thanksgiving down here in Las Vegas, and I couldn’t think of a more fitting day to celebrate the life of my Angel mother.

Also, in her honour, I’ve chosen to wear her classic pearls and a vintage dress that I inherited from her a couple of years ago. I’m not aware of its significance, but she must have cherished it to hang on to it for over six decades.

Mom had many amazing qualities and accomplishments, and I’d like to touch on just a few in the next few minutes.

Master Teacher

She had a natural ability to teach all groups of all ages, and especially enjoyed teaching gospel principles and homemaking skills. And she practiced what she preached.

For instance:

One morning she was hurrying to the church to teach a RS lesson on INTEGRITY. 

Inevitably, she was pulled over by a police officer. 

As he handed her a speeding ticket, she cheerfully thanked him for “making the streets safer for her children”! True story.

A Builder 

Mom was very goal-oriented and always had a plan to get there.

In 1967—in honor of Canada’s Centennial Celebration-- she drew up plans to convert an old school bus into to a camper.

She soon sold it and created a new-and-improved version which took us to Disneyland, Shuswap Lake, and countless other destinations.

Mom was often at the helm, and handled it like a pro! And I’m pretty sure that I NEVER saw other campers eating homemade cherry pie fresh out of the oven! (=

Mom also created detailed plans for—not one--but two custom homes.

The kitchen in our Morley Trail house was her crowning achievement: Not only did it have the usual appliances, but it included an upright freezer, washer, dryer, and her favorite amenity---a double oven with 4 burners and a griddle.

She said she thought she’d “died and gone to heaven” when she moved into that kitchen with the “fancy stove” (in 1955).

She even hauled it to the basement at Willow Brook Dr. when they moved—and it sat there for 25 lonely years.

Somehow I think that she might be disappointed if that old stove isn’t waiting for her in heaven!

Homemaker Extraordinaire 

It was no secret that Mom thrived in her kitchen. Dinner was at 5:30 sharp, and was always exceptional. 

We often had company, and –on more than one occasion—she had unexpected dinner guests show up because Dad had forgotten to tell her again.

But it really didn’t faze her because she always cooked more than we needed.

In fact, Mom always thought BIG in the kitchen!


She was known to say, “It’s not worth dirtying the pot” when cooking for only a couple of people.

She loved the challenge of seamlessly planning a menu for a wedding reception or church function for hundreds of people!

My parents always had a beautiful garden, and often frequented the local farmers’ markets so Mom could bottle huge quantities of fruits and vegetables.

It was nothing to bring home 50 pounds of cucumbers and transform them into her renowned dill pickles.

She’d literally freeze dozens of pies at a time…just to have on hand. And then-----there was BREAD DAY…

Mom’s monthly bread-making day began at 4:00 am with a 20- pound bag of Robin Hood flour, 8 cups of whole wheat flour, two handfuls of salt, and… well you get the idea.

That would make about 24 loaves of bread plus scones for breakfast.

Then she would dump ANOTHER 20 pound bag of flour into the massive granite bowl and start the process again.

She would do this three times each bread day. 

When her day finally wound up at 7:00 pm, she had produced about 90 loaves of bread, and dozens of scones, bread sticks, biscuits, and her famous cinnamon buns.

Neighbors, friends, and anyone who needed a little cheering up also benefitted from bread day. 

Then the rest went straight to one of her overflowing deep freezers.

And I thought this was normal.

Mom was gifted with her hands.

She was a beautiful seamstress!

She produced exquisite needle point scenes, embroidered linens, crocheted and knitted.

LtoR: Vernetta, Bonnie Pilling
When we were young, she attended courses at SAIT.

(I’m sure for her sanity to get out of the house.)

Her millinery instructor said that she was the BEST student that she’d ever had.

Drapery and upholstery courses translated into beautiful décor in our home.

Her candy-making teacher said that SHE should be teaching the class.

LtoR: Vernetta, Unknown Roller, Reva Nelson
(I believe that dear Wyora Pilling had a hand in the origin of Mom’s candy-making career, and should probably get equal credit for that compliment.) 

As far back as I can remember, Mom hand-dipped 100 lbs of chocolates to give away each Christmas, and we were her little worker bees.

Normally, when Mom was in the kitchen, she didn’t really measure exactly---which used to drive me nuts if I wanted to replicate one of her recipes.

BUT, when it came to the science of chocolate-making, it was serious business!

I think Wyora Pilling is on the right.
Temperatures of the chocolate, the marble slab, and even the air had to be monitored with precision!

And the candy tradition lives on with her local grandchildren.

Mom excelled in her cake decorating courses and created stunning wedding cakes for both children and grandchildren!

She was an off-the-charts talented quilter, and was especially proficient at machine quilting. She made gorgeous bedspreads and treasured baby quilts for every child and grandchild.

Mom really did love homemaking, I think mostly because it was another way to render service.

She encouraged her daughters to embrace it as well, although I’m not sure that we quite caught her vision.

In fact, she couldn’t understand why I would go to university if I wasn’t majoring in Home Economics.

Mom was sentimental, and finding just the right card for every occasion was an important expression of her love. Her thoughtfulness and generosity will influence generations to come.

In closing, I am overwhelmingly grateful for my siblings and their families who have watched over Mom, especially during these latter years.

I never dreamt that current conditions would prevent me from crossing the border to visit her this year---or from being physically present at her funeral!

But I rejoice that she is being reunited with her eternal companion and three precious children.

I’m grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with loving parents, and for His wonderful Plan of Happiness, which gives me great comfort.

Mom was my biggest cheerleader!

She has, and will be, a positive force every day of my life.

Joanne

2 comments:

  1. i can taste the flavour of chocolate in the back of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those old pictures of chocolate making are so great, even though by today's standards we would want the light adjusted. In those days, it was just a miracle to get a picture.

    As to the flavour of the chocolate, after all of these years, I prefer milk chocolate, except for when I have a taste of gianduja, and that is my favourite. Yum. I looked at President's Choice when I was there for chocolate. They have it in the bulk bins, but I think only the milk.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.