Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Preparing for the Drive over the Coquihalla Highway

Rebecca and I took two days to pack, once we knew I was ready to be able to do the drive to Vancouver Island.  
She had packed quickly coming here, so it was easy for her to grab those things but leaving also required cleaning out two fridges, taking out the last of the compost, turning down the thermostats, locking the doors (and checking them twice), collecting the black bag garbage, the things that everyone does once they know they won’t be returning for a while. 

David Wood is going to take back the rented chair lift and turn off the water to the house – once again he comes to our aid helping with the last details.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the fall and early winter at the lake, watching the leaves fall from the deciduous trees, seeing the larch tree lose its needles, watching the steady flow of the water in the creek, seeing the blackberry vines, now leafless, lifeless, bent in large hoops, twisted around each other. I thought about cutting them, and circling them into vine wreaths, and then I remembered those spines are still on the stalks. 

They can stay there until I find a way to burn the lifeless vines in the spring.

I can’t say how much I have enjoyed September through Christmas in this spot – my first time ever and every day has been a wonder. 

Watching nature, such a gift to circumvent the downside of Covid!

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.